Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

connect to shared printer on imac

iMac (intel OSX 10.6.8)

• connected to Brother printer HL-5340D
  • system preferences
    • Sharing > Printer Sharing = On
    • Print and Fax > printer shareable checked

Mac mini (OSX 10.8.5)

system preferences > Print and Scan

• click on +

Result:

Mac mini recognises that there is a printer there, and says it wants to download some software. It then reports "Unable to download the software from the server at this time" and won't add the printer in.

I thought I'd help it out by downloading the drivers myself. No deal.

How can I get the Mac mini to accept the printer?

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Sep 25, 2013 2:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2013 3:32 AM

A Mac connecting to a shared printer will typically copy the driver files from the Mac that is sharing the printer, providing the driver supports the OS. Since your 10.8 Mac is trying to connect to Apple to obtain the latest driver, it may believe that the driver on the 10.6.8 Mac is not compatible.

So you could try updating the driver on the 10.6 Mac using the driver you downloaded.

You could also give the Mini a little bit of help by connecting the printer directly to it so that a printer is created, using the driver files you mention installing. Note that this printer that should be created automatically is only for the direct USB connection, so you cannot use it when you move the printer back to the iMac.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 25, 2013 3:32 AM in response to kharisma

A Mac connecting to a shared printer will typically copy the driver files from the Mac that is sharing the printer, providing the driver supports the OS. Since your 10.8 Mac is trying to connect to Apple to obtain the latest driver, it may believe that the driver on the 10.6.8 Mac is not compatible.

So you could try updating the driver on the 10.6 Mac using the driver you downloaded.

You could also give the Mini a little bit of help by connecting the printer directly to it so that a printer is created, using the driver files you mention installing. Note that this printer that should be created automatically is only for the direct USB connection, so you cannot use it when you move the printer back to the iMac.

Oct 8, 2013 5:00 PM in response to kharisma

OK - Since I last posted, Apple have replaced my computer, so I had to set it up again.

Obviously, the iMac hasn't changed - it has the latest drivers installed for that printer. It is still set up to share the printer.

I also downloaded the drivers onto the new Mac mini.

But ... I'm back to square one - the Mac mini recognises that there is a printer available, goes through the charade of searching for software (even though I already installed it) then declares that it is "unable to download the software at this time"

Yes, obviously, I can bring the printer over closer to the Mac mini, but I don't want to - especially since sharing should work.

The Mac mini is in a different room (but open space between computers) - I want the printer to stay where it already is.

Any other solutions?

connect to shared printer on imac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.