Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Desktop Icons disappear

Hi,

I'm looking for some help in such strange case:

I bought a brand new MBA 13 in June - previously I worked on MBP from 2010.

I did the migration process using the firewire cable - it all went great - all my data were moved to brand new computer.

But after a few days I noted a strange behaviour in my MBA. Here is the description:

When I close the lid and leave the MBA for a while - not more than 2-3 hours - and after that time when I open up the lid, the MBA works great.

But when I leave the device alone for more than 3 hours or so and after that time I open up the lid, the icons from the desktop disappear.

It looks like on this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfCdeOHpQgE

When the icons disappear I must find a place where they were and click on empty desktop and they are back. Sometimes I must click twice in different locations to have them back.

I tried several different methods to resolve this problem:

- deleting Finder files connected with desktop

- safe boot mode

- reparing user permissions, described here: http://osxdaily.com/2011/11/15/repair-user-permissions-in-mac-os-x-lion/

- turning on and off the desktop using the Tinkertool

But unfortunately no effort.

When I add a new user account to MBA this problem is not happening, so I think it is connected with my account only.

I would be very thankful for help, because it is very annoying.

I work on the ML 10.8.5.

Best regards,

Marcin

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Sep 25, 2013 4:30 AM

7 replies

Sep 25, 2013 12:02 PM in response to Marcin808

Since the issue is specific to your original user account, you can proceed in two ways. One is to create a new admin account, log into it, make a list of the preference files (plists) located in /username/Library/Preferences/, including any in the ByHost subfolder, log back into the original account, move everything on that new account's list from the original account's Preferences folder into a newly created folder on the Desktop, log out and back in, and see if the problem goes away. If so, you can copy the ones in the Desktop folder (one or more at time) back into /Preferences/, restart, and see if the problem returns. If so, you've identified the corrupt/conflicting ones. Continue with all of them until isolating the bad ones. That'll save you the trouble of resetting preferences.

The second way is much more detailed and I'll not burden you with the steps unless the above doesn't fix the issue

Sep 25, 2013 1:06 PM in response to baltwo

Hi,

Many thanks for your reply.

I'm not sure if I understood your suggestions correctly - please let me know what to do:

One is to create a new admin account, log into it, make a list of the preference files (plists) located in /username/Library/Preferences/,including any in the ByHost subfolder,

I did - so I found the folder and I have all of them in one folder.

log back into the original account, move everything on that new account's list from the original account's Preferences folder into a newly created folder on the Desktop, log out and back in, and see if the problem goes away.

That part above is very difficult to understand - should I rewrite all the old files with the new ones from the new Account?

If so, you can copy the ones in the Desktop folder (one or more at time) back into /Preferences/, restart, and see if the problem returns. If so, you've identified the corrupt/conflicting ones. Continue with all of them until isolating the bad ones.

If you could explain me all that I'll be delighted.

Thanks,

Marcin

Sep 25, 2013 4:47 PM in response to Marcin808

…so I found the folder and I have all of them in one folder.

No reason to combine them into one folder. All you were to do is make a list of the things in those folders.

…should I rewrite all the old files with the new ones from the new Account?

No, just move them out into a new folder on the Desktop. Then, log out and back in. The moved ones should be recreated and you're to test to see if the problem went away.

The last part means that if the problem went away, you've isolated the issue to one of those moved to the Desktop folder. If you want to reset the preferences for the ones you've moved, then you're finished. If not, then move a couple at time back to where came from, log out and back in, and see if the problem returns. If so, then one of those you put back is the one causing the issue. As I noted, this is a slow and tedious way to go.

Sep 27, 2013 6:55 AM in response to baltwo

I have following news about this case:

I did as you suggested and moved all the preferences to another folder. Then I logged out and log in again.

The preferences recreated itself.

The strange thing was that I lost all the settings (in programs, mission control, and others) but the desktop, icons and their positions, size remained unchanged.

There was no problem during a few days - I only closed and opened the lid - the icons stayed as always on the dasktop.

But today I restarted the computer, then I closed the lid and after 4 hours opened up and unfortunately the problem came back - the icons disappeared again.

That looks very strange but I hope, that with your help the problem can be solved.

Many thanks,

Marcin

Desktop Icons disappear

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.