Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can I break out of Single App mode?

I'm setting up some iPads in Single App mode (iOS 7) through Apple Configurator. I've locked it down to Safari, and this works fine. However we've found that holding Sleep + Home for 15 seconds, restarts the iPad and breaks out of single app mode - when it's booted back up you can access everything.

Surely this is a bug or flaw?

iPad

Posted on Sep 25, 2013 6:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2013 12:19 AM

There was a question mark both in my topic title and my post, suggesting I'm asking fellow users if it's a bug/flaw or working as intended.

I'm sure in the time it took you to write your unhelpful post, you could've answered my question.

15 replies

Sep 26, 2013 2:26 AM in response to Simon Slavin

I might be wrong, but I think Guided Access and Single App mode, whilst using the same frameworks, are subtly different. Apple themselves refer to single app mode (http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1682) and most MDM sites talk about single app mode policies.

I've experimented setting Single App mode in both Apple Configurator (where it's called Single App mode) and via Airwatch and when done in such a manner there isn't a password, nor does the triple tap of the home button allow you to exit it.

I've done some more research on this and from what I gather, the act of hard resetting it will just bring you back to the home or lock screen and not straight back to the single app mode, and this is by design. I accept admins need a way to regain access to the device, so I will just have to accept that any users doing this are doing so maliciously to try and circumvent single app mode.

Mar 5, 2014 7:25 PM in response to jasscott

Single app mode, either through MDM or Configurator, can only be set for Supervised devices.

I experienced your issue today. I was testing with an iPad that had a passcode. When I reset the iPad, it came to the lock screen, and when the passcode was typed in I was broken out of the app. The policy was still in place but it was not being enforced. Can you verify if this is your issue as well? Is it still broken for you if there is no passcode?

I'll be calling Apple Support tomorrow.

chris

Mar 6, 2014 1:57 AM in response to Simon Slavin

I can see why, in Apple's logic, that makes sense. But in a healthcare environment you might have shared / generic iPads locked to a single app which you'd still want to protect via a passcode.

As far as I'm aware, just leaving the device at the passcode screen doesn't drop it into single app mode.

No passcode + single app mode is fine for any apps which have their own authentication mechanisms - and anything with clinical data should have these.

Mar 6, 2014 2:13 AM in response to jasscott

I understand what you're saying, I was just explaining why it works the way it does.

It would appear that to do this properly Apple needs two passcodes: one for an admin user and one for any random user. Unfortunately iOS 7 doesn't have a user model. It's designed on the assumption that one iDevice has one user. Which is fine for many users but not the sort of people who post to a forum called 'iPad in Business and Education'.

Mar 6, 2014 9:26 AM in response to Simon Slavin

Simon Slavin wrote:

I understand what you're saying, I was just explaining why it works the way it does.

It would appear that to do this properly Apple needs two passcodes: one for an admin user and one for any random user. Unfortunately iOS 7 doesn't have a user model. It's designed on the assumption that one iDevice has one user. Which is fine for many users but not the sort of people who post to a forum called 'iPad in Business and Education'.

So I tested Guided Access this morning as I was curious how it worked with the passcode. It works the same way - if the iPad has no passcode you are connected right back to it on restart, and if it does you are broken out. This substantiates what I read/learned that Single App mode is a subset of the Guided Access framework. To get back into the proper mode you have to turn the passcode off and restart the iPad.

I think this is ridiculous. With Guided Access at least we do have an admin passcode of sorts - the passcode you have to set just to get into it. Single App mode has to be initiated by Configurator or an MDM - which means you are in a Business or Education setting. The login passcode shouldn't override in my opinion. I called Apple Education Support and they are checking to see if there is a workaround. I'm also going to submit a feature request that this behavior be changed.

chris

Why can I break out of Single App mode?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.