Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wrong junk-mail-folder using Office 365

Hello,

since iOS 7 it is possible to mark junk emails directly from inbox. Whern using Office 365 the problem is, that the mail is moved to a wrong folder (called Junk instead of Junk-E-Mail) and there is no possibility to change the folder manually.

Am I overlooking here something or is this just a bug in iOS7?

Kind regards

René

Posted on Sep 25, 2013 7:32 AM

11 replies

Jan 26, 2017 12:05 AM in response to Rene Scrubei

For those who are still getting the following email from Outlook:

"Subject: Folders in your mailbox have name conflicts

One or more folders in your mailbox have name conflicts with others or system reserved names

Folders with these names can't be downloaded by your IMAP e-mail program.

Junk

Please connect to your mailbox using your Web browser and rename those folders. Once renamed, those folders will be displayed in your IMAP e-mail application correctly."

The problem is that Microsoft has changed the expected name of the "Junk E-mail" folder to "Junk Email". The iPhone and iPad don't know to look for that, and so when you mark an email as junk in IOS, it creates a "Junk" folder in your Outlook, and moves the email into it. The email will never be deleted unless you go into the Outlook app or the Outlook website to do it manually. Microsoft doesn't like this folder, and sends you an email to complain. Although the email sounds like tragic news, it doesn't actually seem to be a major issue.

The easiest solution is not to use the IOS's "Mark as Junk" feature. A more complicated method to forcibly rename the Outlook folder can be seen above from mattj1856, but requires that you have a Windows computer with the Outlook app installed, and may cause issues with Outlook in the future.

In addition we could complain to Apple for not allowing us to change the expected IMAP name (although other clients don't seem to allow it either) and/or complain to Microsoft for once again doing their own thing in the face of international standards.

Jan 14, 2014 10:59 AM in response to Rene Scrubei

I reported this to Apple Support recently and asked that they fix this. It appears that w/ Office 365 exchange, the junk mail folder has been changed from the traditional "Junk E-mail" to "Junk Email". iOS mail doesn't recognize the "Junk Email" folder and creates a folder "Junk" as Rene mentioned. I manually created a "Junk E-mail" folder in my exchange mailbox and found that iOS mail mapped to it immediately.

TL;DR Apple needs to add "Junk Email" to the list of folders that the iOS mail application will map to for "Junk"

Nov 20, 2014 9:53 PM in response to Rene Scrubei

I figured out how to fix this!

1. On a Windows machine, add the account to Outlook.

2. Download the MFCMAPI tool from http://mfcmapi.codeplex.com

3. Read the article at: http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/renamedefaultfolders.htm

4. Use the technique described in the section "Manually renaming the folders via MFCAPI" to rename "Junk Email" to "Junk E-mail"

5. Click Send & Receive in Outlook to ensure the change gets pushed back to the server

6. Check your mail on the iPad. The folder names will update, and the "Junk E-mail" folder will appear as just "Junk" and will have the correct icon next to it. More importantly, the "Move to Junk" feature, and "Delete All" from the Junk folder will work again!

7. Optionally, you can then remove the account from Outlook. The folder names will stay.

Oct 17, 2016 11:24 PM in response to Rene Scrubei

Just to update, this has still not been addressed in iOS 10. I don't fancy the baroque procedure above; I don't have a Windows machine any more, and in any case would need an app password to set up the Outlook account, because 2FA. A faff on before I even start.

Disappointing, and exactly the sort of thing I left Microsoft behind for. Will have to wait for outlook.com to junk the emails when it gets around to it.

Rob

Wrong junk-mail-folder using Office 365

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.