Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4S stuck in recovery mode after trying to update to iOS 7.

After trying several different things, I still cannot get my phone out of recovery mode. I'm studying abroad and would very much like to not be stuck in Belgium without a phone. I also don't want to go buy a new one if there's a fix for this. I have tried everything from modifying hosts to using TinyUmbrella and it still will not restore. Any ideas?

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Sep 25, 2013 8:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2013 8:18 AM

1) Plug your iPhone into the computer.

2) Hold home and power buttons simultaneously for 15 seconds,

3) release home button, but continue to hold power button for 2 seconds.

This process often will force boot your device.

Hope this helps.

27 replies

Sep 25, 2013 8:26 AM in response to JD2015

It took me speaking with 2 tech support and 2 trips to the apple store. The last time, when the tech restored, it came back to OS 6.1. When I got home, I connected to itunes and phone was recognized. Was able to sync to what I had backed up to my computer and then Icloud.

OS 7 automatically downloaded to my Iphone (4S) but I did not installed it.

Phone is now working perfectly on OS 6.1

Sep 25, 2013 8:40 AM in response to JD2015

1) Download iOS 6.1.3. (If you have in on your computer already then drag and drop it to your desktop.)

• if you don't have it then download it here: http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/

2) Go to iTunes, then to your iPhone.

3) Hold shift and click restore.

4) Use the pop-up-box to navigate to the location of IOS 6.1.3

5) Double click the IOS.

iTunes should now start to restore the iPhone. The same process can be done by hold shift button and clicking update, instead of restore.

Oct 28, 2013 7:03 PM in response to JD2015

You can get your iPhone out of recovery mode by connecting it to your computer and then open iTunes. Next, tap on "Restore" under iTunes and then backup your settings.

Just now I got error while updating my iPhone 4 to iOS 7, and it stucks in the DFU mode. But I found the solution after I installed TinyUmbrella.

1. Disconnect your phone from iTunes

2. Turn Off your phone

3. Install TinyUmbrella

4. Connect your phone again

5. Click "Exit Recovery" at the top right of TinyUmbrella apps.

6. Done.

Your phone will restart then it returns to normal mode again. Hope it helps!

Nov 24, 2013 11:00 PM in response to JD2015

hi, Dear Dude, I have ever encountered this kind of situation. My iPhone stuck in recovery mode and I try these two methods.

first method is mainmenu--->then,settings--->then,general settings--->then,tap reset option--->then,reset your iPhone

second method is to use iPhone Data Recovery. To me, a computer newbie, it's convenient and useful. It brings my phone back to normal and enables me to recover all my lost data with just one click.

Either of it can try!

Nov 27, 2013 3:28 AM in response to JD2015

Londonblu

I have mamaged to get my phone out of recovery mode, without any loss of data.

I tried to update my phone to ios7.4 and got the dreaded itunes and USB connecton sign, which meant stuck in recovery mode. Itunes was asking to restore the iphone, meaning loosing all the data which was not backed up.

I used a free trail of www.transfer-iphone-recover.com, Dr Fone...........one does not have to register, just proceed straith to free trail and click, it restored my phone back to its original state and out of the dread recovery mode.

I hope this helps.

Jan 15, 2014 10:41 PM in response to RemyWO

The Wondershare Dr.Fone Recovery Tool worked for me in Trial mode just like RemyWO said!!!!!!

This was the fix for me >>> http://www.transfer-iphone-recovery.com/iphone-stuck-in-recovery-mode.html

I just downloaded to my Mac, installed it, connected my iPhone, used the special Restart button in the yellow area on the main screen and did NOTHING else. That was enough to SHOCK my iPhone back to life and get it out of Recovery mode.

Unbelievable that iTunes can't do this. This almost makes me want to go pay for Wondershare just to thank them for fixing my iPhone 5 after that heart-stopping iOS7 horrible upgrade experience.

Thank goodness I did not actually RESTORE and wipeout my iPhone like iTunes was saying I needed to do.

Apple, shame on you!!!!

iPhone 4S stuck in recovery mode after trying to update to iOS 7.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.