Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Failed to load page missing Safari

Whenever i try to load a safari page blocked by government filters (china), it always shows a blank screen instead of failed to load page...

This happened when i installed AVG linkscanner and SOPHOS AV...

but after unistallation, it returns to normal. After a while when a few computer issues mounted up i installed avast! AV, the white screen issue is back!!!

Please help i like to know if my page doesnt load

Note: this can happen to google as well

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Sep 25, 2013 9:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2013 11:37 AM

Remove all that useless "anti-virus" software according to the developer's instructions.

19 replies

Sep 25, 2013 1:38 PM in response to Kaiwenhrt98

That's very odd. Did you try with just Sophos installed, or only with both AVG and Sophos? The free version of Sophos does not include any kind of link scanner or other browser plug-ins that would cause such issues. It's very odd that this is happening with multiple anti-virus programs to begin with, but if it's happening with something like Sophos that shouldn't change browser behavior, there's likely to be a problem of some kind elsewhere.

Regarding the need for anti-virus software... for the most part, the average Mac user doesn't need any. Mac OS X protects against all currently-known malware. However, you're in China, and that changes things a bit. Certain groups in China have been heavily targeted by malware in the last couple years, and even if you're not part of one of those groups, you could still become "collateral damage." Because of the increased exposure you may have, it's probably a good idea to have some kind of anti-virus software installed as an additional layer of security. I'm sure some folks would disagree, saying that if some malware can slip past the built-in defenses in Mac OS X, it will slip past anti-virus software as well. That's not a universal truth, though... different detection methods can have different levels of success for specific malware. The holes in one layer of defense may (or may not) be covered by a different layer.

For more information about this sort of stuff, see my Mac Malware Guide.

Sep 25, 2013 10:33 PM in response to Kaiwenhrt98

You can avoid malware by enabling Gatekeeper on your Mac.

Open System Preferences > Security & Privacy then select the General tab.

Make sure either Mac App Store or Mac App Store and identified developers is selected. If that area is grayed out, click the padlock icon to proceed.

OS X: About Gatekeeper

Avoid Avast, Norton, MacKeeper........ they will only cause problems for you.

Sep 30, 2013 3:23 AM in response to Kaiwenhrt98

Reinstalling Safari isn't going to do you any good. The Safari app isn't the problem.

Honestly, as I've already said, I think it's very weird that you've gotten the same problem with two different anti-virus apps. When such apps block access to a site, that's not the way it should happen, and the fact that you had the same odd behavior with both suggests to me that there's something else wrong. I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to just erase the hard drive and resintall a fresh system. (See How to reinstall Mac OS X from scratch.)

Sep 30, 2013 7:08 AM in response to Kaiwenhrt98

that works, but it doesn't explain why it happened

It happened because the software you removed is useless garbage, like all commercial "security" software for the Mac platform. If you want a more detailed explanation, you'll have to ask the developer. If your system is working now, you most certailnly do not need to reinstall the OS or do anything else at all, except to refrain from installing any more garbage software.

Failed to load page missing Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.