Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

5S Gyroscope/Accelerometer Error?

Seems that the new 5S has an error in either the hardware or software end do things. If you check your iPhone on a level surface it will be off by four degrees or more. This seems to be impacting the performance and playability of some apps that rely on more accuracy from the hardware. When I check mine against a very accurate digital level, it shows a four degree difference.

Is this something that Apple can fix in a software update or is it a hardware issue?

iPhone 4, iOS 5, iMessage

Posted on Sep 25, 2013 9:37 AM

14 replies

Oct 3, 2013 12:49 PM in response to Robert Grandmaison

I have an iPhone 5S and iPhone 5 - both read the same level when placed on the same table; not one degree difference. I did read the Gizmodo 'sky is falling' article about it and they showed gross differences with their typical snarling & gnashing of teeth with regard to any Apple issue. It would be very easy to manufacture a bad reading and of course one needs to use the calibration feature however to quote Apple support site, "you shouldn't rely on it to determine precise locations, proximity, distance, or direction"

Oct 22, 2013 11:04 AM in response to Robert Grandmaison

.. so I attended the Genius Bar at my local Apple Store to discuss this further and obtain a replacement iPhone. I was told that this hardware issue is 'across the board' and a replacement would simply reproduce the fault. I was assured that a system wide software update is coming to address the gyro/compass issues.

Some research online has also produced some interesting information, namely that Apple switched suppliers from STMicroelectronics to Bosch Sensortech in favour of a less power consuming component not realising that the new part had a bias of (-/+).95 microgravities (the STMicro component has a bias of (-/+) .20mg) and it's this that is causing iOS7 to falsely interpret the sensor data.

Crossing my fingers for a firmware fix or I fear that my 5s will be returned to Apple.

5S Gyroscope/Accelerometer Error?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.