Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music - How to sort songs by date added

Hello,

I usually sync my recently added playlist from my itunes to my Iphone. On my itunes, the playlist is sorted by Date added.

Since upgrading to ios7, the songs are no longer in order on my iphone (in the recently added playlist) despite still being in the right order on Itunes.

Would appreciate some help

Thanks

Karl

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Sep 25, 2013 9:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2013 1:01 PM

Hey, I have the exact same problem... It's very frustrating, because no matter what intelligent sorting you use, iOS 7 will end up using the numerotation sort.

I found a way to still have it sorted, it's easy but could be much easier if iOS 7 behaved as iOS 6: all you need to do is sort your playlist in iTunes, as you would do normally, but this time, you then have to right click on the playlist. There should be an option like "copy to play order". What it does is re-index the numbers so that they match your playlist sorting. This way, even your iPhone will have this order. The bummer is it won't do it automatically. So say you wanted to sort by rating, every time you add/change rating, you will have to click on that option again. That s***ks a lot. I have iTunes Match with a lot of music, and it's a pain not to have it sorted.

Anyway, even if it can help, I seriously hope there is a better way to do it.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2013 1:01 PM in response to karl219

Hey, I have the exact same problem... It's very frustrating, because no matter what intelligent sorting you use, iOS 7 will end up using the numerotation sort.

I found a way to still have it sorted, it's easy but could be much easier if iOS 7 behaved as iOS 6: all you need to do is sort your playlist in iTunes, as you would do normally, but this time, you then have to right click on the playlist. There should be an option like "copy to play order". What it does is re-index the numbers so that they match your playlist sorting. This way, even your iPhone will have this order. The bummer is it won't do it automatically. So say you wanted to sort by rating, every time you add/change rating, you will have to click on that option again. That s***ks a lot. I have iTunes Match with a lot of music, and it's a pain not to have it sorted.

Anyway, even if it can help, I seriously hope there is a better way to do it.

Apr 14, 2014 6:01 PM in response to karl219

Sorry for reviving an old thread.

I've never had this problem before, but today after sorting the recently added playlist by artist once, this new order got synced to my iPhone and resisted all subsequent efforts to revert it back.

What I did was to duplicate the playlist and remove the old one. When the newly duplicated list was synced to the phone, the order was back to normal again. No need to choose the "copy to play order" option every time. Hope this helps someone.

Aug 5, 2015 2:31 PM in response to karl219

Hey Karl,

I figured out how to sort a playlist by Date Added starting with the most recent song. Here's how to do it.

1. In iTunes, select the Playlists Tab at the top.
  2. Click on the playlist you wish to edit from the playlists on the left
  3. Once the playlist has been selected, in it's Title bar, click the Edit Playlist button next to the small heart near the right of the screen.
  4. In the drop down menu, click sort by, and choose date added, then click done. (You'll notice the playlist is arranged from oldest to newest added track)
  5. Right in the top right corner, above that heart, click Playlist, and from the drop down menu, tick Date Added, and then tick Descending which will arrange this playlist from your most recently added track.

Hope this helps 🙂

Music - How to sort songs by date added

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.