Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Calendar and Reminders slow to sync on iOS 7.

Since the upgrade to iOS 7, Calendar and Reminders don't seem to sync in the background. For example, if I move an event or change its alert time on my computer on on iCloud.com, my iPhone doesn't recognize this change unless I actually open up the Calendar or Reminder app. On iOS 6, it would update on the fly, meaning I wouldn't get reminders for events that had moved or whatever else I'm trying to change.

Background App Refresh is still on. iCloud syncing is fine, it just ONLY does it if the app is open.

Any suggestions? Or is this just an iOS 7 thing?

iPhone 5, iOS 7

Posted on Sep 25, 2013 10:53 AM

16 replies

Oct 1, 2013 9:14 AM in response to astrolux

I'm having the same problem, I'm syncing between my iMac at home, my macbook pro for work, my ipad and my iphone 5. Even when I leave the app open, it takes forever or not at all. I think this is a glitch in ios7 because I've NEVER had this problem before the update. *NOTE* This is more of a reminders list issue than calendar issue for me.

Oct 2, 2013 7:44 AM in response to Rm213

Check to see how often your iDevices are set to pick up data.

Look here:

Settings --> Mail, Contacts, Calendars --> Fetch New Data

Even if your iPhone is set to Push, if push fails, it will fall back to the Fetch schedule. If Fetch is set to Manually, then it won't update until you force it to. Try a different setting.

Oct 31, 2013 8:13 PM in response to astrolux

I just noticed this behavior myself, new events and deleted events take a good deal of time to sync on the iPhone. I use Fantastical 2.0 and sent a support request, but then noticed that new events weren't syncing in Calendar or Week Cal either. After about 5-10 minutes the sync takes place. Unfortunate, because the near-instant syncing before the update to iOS 7 was very useful.

Dec 21, 2013 5:03 AM in response to astrolux

I have the exact same issue. Mavericks and iOS7 have brought so much good stuff, but they have taken so many steps backwards, and seemingly all in areas of my daily workflow. I use reminders all day every day between 3 devices, and I need them to sync quickly like in iOS6. When I add a calendar event or reminder from my laptop and then I'm out on the road with my iPhone later, and I miss that reminder because my phone didnt update, that causes a real issue.

Feb 23, 2014 4:37 PM in response to djcobp

I am having the same problem. I use Weekly Calendar to sync our team bookings via Google Calender and lately I ahve noticed that the syncing is so slow that we have often double booked(or worse) as one person would make a booking, and another may make another booking at the same time not realising that the time slot has already been taken. The sync time is often in the range of from a few minutes to up to half an hour. I have set the fetch setting to 15mins. Just wondering if there is a force sync setting.

Aug 23, 2014 1:51 PM in response to astrolux

I have the same problem too. When I add an event on my mac it syncs with my iCloud account but the changes never reach my iPhone. If I make a change on my iPhone it could sync with my mac without any problem. I tried some solutions from this page (iCloud: Troubleshooting iCloud Reminders and Tasks) and it didn't work. And now, after i disabled iCloud sync on my iPhone and enabled it again, not only it doesn't sync but also I can't even add a new event or new reminder.

Jun 5, 2015 12:18 AM in response to astrolux

This is a very annoying one. My problem is exactly the one originally described by Astrolux. Especially if I change the order of reminders in a list it takes forever to update the screen and to sync. And it disturbes very much my daily workflow as described by others in this thread. Apple, do something about that! Help! Sometimes it's small details that render good apps just useless! And this problem pertains since months already…

Jun 6, 2015 11:55 AM in response to Mariechaon

iCloud sync speed has been an issue for me for at least 2/3 years so not iOS7 specific (am using iOS7 currently)... Calendar is my most used application - I could afford to lose all other applications EXCEPT Calendar - that is how crucial to my daily life it is. As I see it there is a problem with the way in which iCloud propagates updates (eg new events) to other devices that either share the same Apple ID or other devices that I share my calendar. Some unknown set of circumstances, and therefore completely unpredictable, cause iCloud maybe to fail to update the Calendar on maybe 1 or 2 devices. Can take SEVERAL DAYS before it corrects itself! I suspect there is some sort of pecking-order at iCloud in terms of which devices are updated - despite all sharing the same Calendar. My setup is: iMac(My ID), iPhone 1(My ID), iPhone 2 (Shares my calendar), iPad1 (My ID) and a relative's iPad (Shares my Calendar). Depending which device receives the updated Calendar data from iCloud FIRST may have knock-on effect to speed at which the others receive theirs. Incidentally when I view hte iCloud Calendar via www.icloud.com the entries are always present and correct and are there promptly - so... could it be the devices' own iCloud apps making a pretty ****-poor effort at syncing? iCloud is supposed to PUSH updates out and therefore initiate a sync procedure on the devices concerned - so the fundamental process of the device interrogating the iCloud version of its calendar for changes and applying them fails - quite often.

I wish Apple would sort it out.

...as a follow-on - you would have thought the built-in option within the calendar app to "refresh" the calendars would be the logical workaround but it has NO effect. in these circumstances (In fact I get the impression this refreshing function does not do any refreshing at all if the results, historically, are anything to go by).

Jan 29, 2016 12:57 PM in response to preludio

This was perfect and helped me out. When I looked closer, while Push was indeed enabled, it only applied to my work email account. My personal account (GMail) used Fetch and, since the Fetch schedule was set to manual, I never got updates unless in the app. Now I've set it to fetch on a schedule and everything is updating like I expected on the fetch schedule.

For those that need immediate update, you have to use a service that supports Push. The most frequent that it appears Fetch works is every 15 minutes. For anything more real-time than that, you'll need to use Exchange or another service that provides updates via Push.

Thanks for this tidbit, it helped me solve this issue!

Calendar and Reminders slow to sync on iOS 7.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.