Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro as second monitor for 27" iMac

Hello,

Yesterday I purchased a 13" MacBook Pro and a Thunderbolt cable. I figured out how to use my 27" iMac as an extended display for the MacBook Pro by clicking cmnd F2 on the iMac's keyboard but how do you use MacBook Pro as an extended display for the iMac? Clicking cmnd F2 on the laptop doesn't work.

I've come up empty with my searches.

Thanks in advance!

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Sep 25, 2013 11:01 AM

19 replies

Sep 25, 2013 5:34 PM in response to BHReid

A Different approach is to use teleport to allow the iMac keyboard/mouse/trackpad to control the MacBook Pro. It is NOT a second monitor, but you can use both systems from the same keyboard/mouse/trackpad.

You can configure to transfer the copy/paste buffer between the systems.

You could have apps you are not using too much on the MacBook Pro, and your hard working apps on the iMac.

I do this at work with my 27" iMac and my 15" MacBook Pro.

Sep 25, 2013 7:07 PM in response to BHReid

You have a couple of options. The first is to use a current third-party package for screen and keyboard sharing to share the screen on your MBP with the screen on your iMac. The second option I can think of is to wait a little while longer, and install Mavericks on your iMac, then use a third-party package ( http://www.airserver.com ) on your MBP to have it become an Air Sharing Server like an Apple TV, and you can then extend your iMac's screen onto the MBP screen.

Sep 25, 2013 11:02 PM in response to BHReid

Thanks so much for all the suggestions! Really, it's opened up my way of looking at it and I can see how these suggestions could come in handy. What I've done for the immediate is install Air Display. It's not ideal as the image fragments somewhat when areas of an image are selected using PS on the external display (MacBook Pro). I'm an animation BG artist so detail is important but once it goes into the main iMac display it seems fine.

I mostly wanted the second monitor as a reference point for what I'm 'painting' on the iMac and to have the ability to select colour, ect. Since I HAD to buy a MBP recently I figured I might as well get the the most from it!

Cheers!

MacBook Pro as second monitor for 27" iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.