Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I just save my pictures on the cloud forever?

I want to dump my photos from my phone and store them on the cloud. I want to delete the pictures from my phone so that I can have more storage for more pictures. Sounds simple enough but for some reason I cant figure out how to do it.

Also, I understand that 5 gigs is free on the cloud but it's $20 for 10 gigs. Does this mean that I get 5 gigs plus the 10 that I buy which totals 15 gigs or am I really getting 5 more gigs for $20?

iPhone 4S

Posted on Sep 25, 2013 11:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2013 11:51 AM

You cannot. iCloud is not set up for permanent storage of pictures. You can backup your iOS device to iCloud and that will include the pictures in the camera roll. You can use Photostream to move pictures between devices, but after 30 days a picture there will be deleted.

iOS devices owners are expected to store their photo's permanently on their own computers and hard drives. Apple does not offer any permanent photo storage or archive solution.

I'd also add that anything you put up on iCloud is not guaranteed at all by Apple. It is still your data and files, and your responsibility to keep backed up somewhere else. While iCloud may be very stable and reliable, it is not infallible, and if your only copy of something is on iCloud and you loose it for any reason, you will be on your own to deal with that.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 25, 2013 11:51 AM in response to MikeHord

You cannot. iCloud is not set up for permanent storage of pictures. You can backup your iOS device to iCloud and that will include the pictures in the camera roll. You can use Photostream to move pictures between devices, but after 30 days a picture there will be deleted.

iOS devices owners are expected to store their photo's permanently on their own computers and hard drives. Apple does not offer any permanent photo storage or archive solution.

I'd also add that anything you put up on iCloud is not guaranteed at all by Apple. It is still your data and files, and your responsibility to keep backed up somewhere else. While iCloud may be very stable and reliable, it is not infallible, and if your only copy of something is on iCloud and you loose it for any reason, you will be on your own to deal with that.

Sep 25, 2013 11:50 AM in response to MikeHord

You're getting 15GB (the 10GB upgrade plus the free 5GB). But you can't use iCloud to permanently store your pictures. Photo stream photos only remain in iCloud for 30 days, and if you delete them from your phone, they are also deleted from iCloud. Camera roll photos are included in your iCloud backup, but if you delete the photos from your phone, then continue to back it up, the backup containing the deleted photos will be overwritten by a backup that doesn't, and they will be lost.

To keep your camera roll photos, import them to your computer using your usb cable, as explained here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4083. If you need to back up photo stream photos that aren't in your camera roll, save them to the camera roll by tapping Edit, tap the photos, tap Share, then tap Save to Camera Roll. Then they can be imported to your computer as well.

How do I just save my pictures on the cloud forever?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.