Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't copy and paste in Pages App document

Working in Pages: started a doc w/ the template "Modern Photo Resume" to construct a short bio. I copied text from an e-mail and tried to paste it into the body. Can't do it. When I tap on the text space in the Pages document, I don't get a pop up with the "paste" command to tap on. Can't copy a word either. Tried just copying a word I had already typed in the Pages document - I selected/highlighted the word, and held my finger on it waiting for the "copy/cut,etc" popup choices and got nothing. "copy" and "paste" commands just don't show up no matter what I try. I looked in the instructions in the attached "Help" in the App and saw : select the word and select copy ... Useless "help" if "copy" and "paste" aren't available to select. Anyone able to help with this?

iPhone 5, iOS 7, Using "Pages" app

Posted on Sep 25, 2013 12:26 PM

6 replies

Aug 5, 2017 10:30 PM in response to Michael Q

Likewise, when I try and copy and paste into an email (not so with an ordinary document where it works fine) I get a blue 'document icon' rather that the document I was trying to cut and paste. Has been happening for a while now and I note your comment about doing a IOS Reset. In desperation, I'll try anything ⚠ but would I lose any data by doing such a reset?

Aug 9, 2017 6:24 PM in response to Michael Q

Likewise, when I try and copy and paste into an email (not so with an ordinary document where it works fine) I get a blue 'document icon' rather that the document I was trying to cut and paste. Has been happening for a while now and I note your comment about doing a IOS Reset. In desperation, I'll try anything ⚠ but would I lose any data by doing such a reset?

Aug 9, 2017 7:01 PM in response to johnhb2

Yes, you could very well lose data if you reset your phone like that. Holding both buttons is akin to yanking your computer's plug out of the wall while it's running — something that can be quite bad for it.

The better way is to shut down and restart normally: press and hold the Sleep/Wake button, then slide the slider. After the device powers off, hold the Sleep/Wake button momentarily until you see the Apple logo.

A faster alternative would be to force quit Pages itself (can't speak to the data loss aspect of that, but you shouldn't lose anything older than a minute or so since the app saves work frequently). To do this, double-click the Home button, and slide Pages up and out. Then relaunch Pages and everything should work properly again.

Jan 13, 2014 6:07 PM in response to PiperDespereaux

This just happened to me today. Cut/Copy/Paste pop-up was appearing as it always has when something was highlighted, but all of a sudden it stopped working. I can't get the pop-up to appear now no matter what I do. It still works in other apps like Notes and Numbers, but not Pages. I can't find any settings in the app to turn it on/off, and can't find anything about this problem (other than your post) anywhere.

Completely confused.

Can't copy and paste in Pages App document

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.