Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My computer doesn't recognize my new iPod shuffle.

I tried 2 different USB cords, 3 different computers and 2 different new iPods. Apple support is no help at all.

I've tried all the suggestions here. Isn't there a common solution??

iPod shuffle, Windows Vista

Posted on Sep 25, 2013 12:56 PM

4 replies

Sep 25, 2013 1:45 PM in response to veroart

Is the latest iTunes installed on the computers? If not, you can get it here

http://www.apple.com/itunes/

An older version of iTunes, depending on how old, may not support recent iPods.

Make sure the shuffle is fully connected to the USB cable (plug is fully inserted). The fit may be tighter than expected. It should "click" into place.

This is a new shuffle, so it's 4th gen. The are both 4th gen? It comes with a short USB cable. Those are the two cables you tried (one from each of the two shuffles), correct? If so, you can probably rule out faulty cable as the cause.

Since you tried multiple computers, and multiple USB ports, you can probably rule out faulty USB port as the cause. To be sure, it would be a good idea to shut down (power off) and disconnect all USB devices including hub (except keyboard/mouse if normally used) on one of the computers, and connect only the shuffle to a direct USB port on the computer.

Since you have two shuffles to try, if they are both new (or recent), it seems unlikely that you would get two with hardware problems.

If the above does not help, I think the most likely cause is a software-related issue on the computer, but it seems less likely because you tried three (unless all three of the computers you tried are configured similarly).

Sep 25, 2013 2:07 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

Of course I have tried all of your suggestions.

1. I have a brand new download of iTunes

2. I know how to connect to the UBS port correctly

3. Both shuffles are 4th gen. I have one short cable and a cable with a port to dock the shuffle. (it lights up)

3. I have shut down and disconnected all other devices and connected only the shuffle.

4. Both my shuffles are brand new from Amazon. (I returned one as I thought it was bad)

5. I doubt that software problems arose in all 3 computers.

I have a Computer Guru who I pay handsomely who checked out my system and suggested 3 bad iPods or 2 bad cables.

What else do you have for me, Chief??

Sep 25, 2013 2:36 PM in response to veroart

See how easy it was to state those important facts. My mind-reading superpower is not working this week... 🙂

I know how to connect to the UBS port correctly

I wasn't talking about the USB port end of the cable. I was talking about the plug that connects to the headphones jack on the shuffle. That connection can initially be tighter than expected for some people, so make sure it is fully inserted into the headphones jack. You should feel it click into place.

I have one short cable and a cable with a port to dock the shuffle. (it lights up)

If that second one is a third-party cable, make sure it is described as being for the 3rd and 4th gen shuffle. A cable that is for the older 2nd gen shuffle does not work, because the connector plug is different. So, it's possible that you have only one cable that is designed to work withe the 4th gen shuffle?

Both my shuffles are brand new from Amazon. (I returned one as I thought it was bad)

IF you returned one of the shuffles, you only have one on-hand to trouble-shoot with at the moment? "3 bad iPods"? What model is the third iPod? It doesn't connect to your computer and iTunes either? Or maybe you are saying you had three shuffles total and returned one, so now you have two? Confusing...

It seems unlikely that you'd get three (or even two) shuffles that do not connect consecutively. So it still seems to me like it's related to software on the computer, IF it's not one of the things mentioned above. This document has advice on things to try, when both the computer (Windows) and iTunes do not recognize the shuffle as being connected

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1369

Some of the points you have already tried, and some do not apply to the shuffle.

Sep 26, 2013 7:13 AM in response to veroart

As I said previously.. "I KNOW how to plug in the USB cable. BOTH ends"

Both cables came with my first Shuffle.

All iPods are 4th Gen. I have two now. One older, one new.

Three computers have now failed to recognise my iPod and I failed to find the article here with advice on how to correct these computers to have them recognise my iPod.

I think I'll just return the Shuffle to Amazon for a refund and write off the $$$ I have spent to buy over 150 songs.

Apple *****!

My computer doesn't recognize my new iPod shuffle.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.