Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I tried to install latest OS update. Recd error installing. IT tried to load the upgrade in Safe Mode. Now system will not boot up. IT says I have to do a clean install which loses all data.

After receiving an error when I try to install the latest update of OS-X, I took my laptop to oour schools IT dept. They tried to run the update in safe mode and then they got an error saying the system could not find the hard drive. Now they want to run a clean install which loses 1000's of docs and pictures. I have Block I exams in med school next Monday and all of my notes and slides are on that hard drive.

The IT dept took the hard drive out and tried to back it up and they said they other computer could not connect or find my hard drive.

Major panic....

I have Norton antivirus and have never found any viruses on the system. I also have a program called ExamSoft which some other students here have noted they had similar crashes. Not sure if that is the issue...

iPhone 4S, Mac OS X (10.7.3), Using POP3 email with 2010 Outlook

Posted on Sep 25, 2013 3:37 PM

1 reply

Sep 25, 2013 4:21 PM in response to jefferyf6

1. Several take home messages here:
    1. always back up before you update.
    2. always back up anything you don't want to lose. Kind of like flossing. Only floss the teeth you don't want to lose.
    3. Norton is very, very bad software, and you should get rid of it.
    4. You don't need antivirus software on your mac. Antivirus software on macs causes more trouble than it is worth.
    5. Your hard drive may be failing and thus may not be salvageable.
  2. You could try booting into the recovery partition and seeing if you can repair your hard drive.
  3. If that doesn't work, then there is a small chance that a third party utility (like Disk Warrior or TechTool) might be able to fix your drive (if it is not failing).
  4. If that doesn't work, you may be able to send your drive and a lot of cash to a drive recovery service and see if they can get your files off it.
  5. In the mean time, get notes and slides from a (smart) friend.

I tried to install latest OS update. Recd error installing. IT tried to load the upgrade in Safe Mode. Now system will not boot up. IT says I have to do a clean install which loses all data.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.