Thank you for the detailed description of the issue you are experiencing when pairing the Apple Bluetooth keyboard with your iPad. I recommend following these steps for the issue you described:
Bluetooth disconnects, intermittent connectivity, or unable to find
- Move your iOS device closer to the Bluetooth accessory.
- Position your iOS device and Bluetooth accessory in direct line of sight of each other. For example, move the Bluetooth accessory and iOS device to the same side of your body.
- Remove any case, stand, or other accessories from your iOS device and see if performance improves.
- Check for sources of potential interference and move both the iOS device and the Bluetooth accessory away from other electronic devices.
- Reset network settings by tapping Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.
- Note: This will reset all network settings including: previously connected Wi-Fi networks and passwords, recently used Bluetooth accessories, VPN, and APN settings.
You can find the full article here:
Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.