Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do i preform a clean install of OSX

I have a Powermac G4 with no HDD, I purchased it on ebay....however it came with no hdd. I have a HDD that will work with this computer, and a copy of OSX 10.4 Tiger, and would like to install it, so how can i boot from the cd and do it? Do i have to hold down anything? Thanks

PowerMac

Posted on Sep 25, 2013 4:22 PM

1 reply

Sep 25, 2013 7:04 PM in response to jakob27990

To boot from a system disk, press and hold c during restart. You may have to hold a long time before the system reads enough from the oprical disk to boot,

NOTE: The disk you have needs to be an original retail install disk or the gray system install/restore disk that came with the computer. There are no legal downloabable copies of Mac OS 10.4 so those offered are ones that, at best, won't work and at worst, mess up you computer and the seller gets your money, credit card number, and identity.

New hard drives don't come formatted for Macs. You need to boot from the optical disk and format the hard drive with the version of Disk Utility that is on the optical disk.

How do i preform a clean install of OSX

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.