Hello there, cctbeef.
It seems you have come from the Knowledge Base article that has the steps you need to try for resolving your exact issue:
Follow these steps to troubleshoot voicemail issues on your iPhone:
- Restart your iPhone.
- Check for a carrier settings update.
- Update your iPhone to the latest version of iOS.
- Ensure that your voice mailbox is set up properly. You can verify this by dialing your phone number from your iPhone.
- Make sure that you have a good cellular network connection. You can verify this by seeing whether you can make an outgoing call.
- Call your iPhone from another phone and attempt to leave yourself a voicemail.
- Reset your network settings by tapping Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.
- Contact your carrier and ensure your iPhone is properly configured with the voicemail feature on your plan.
Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.
I had that problem and the steps provided by Apple did not work for iOS9. I took my phone into an Apple store. In the past, they have been more help than the phone support. The guy there tried a few things then tried calling my carrier (AT&T). He spoke "reset voicemail passcode," or something like that. I got a text with a new 4 digit passcode for voicemail. We went to voicemail, I entered the code, and everything was working fine. Problem fixed. Now - I may have left out something he did, because of other events happening. But give that a try. It did NOT reset the passcode for my iPhone, just the voicemail. The advice to "contact your carrier" is not exactly the most helpful.
When I had trouble with my visual voicemail on my iPhone 4s disappearing I got extremely lucky and was connected to a very patient, knowledgeable support advisor who gave me a quick and guaranteed method for cutting to the chase on resolving problems with Apple products online rather than going to an Apple store or spending hours trying to get help without paying additional money for that support. I’m going to list the steps in order. Follow them and you’ll be a satisfied Apple product owner.
- Go to this link: https://getsupport.apple.com/GetproductgroupList.action While you’ll see what appears to be the usual screen if you click on the product you need, in this case my iPhone 4s, it’ll take you to the next site, https://getsupport.apple.com/Issues.action
- You’ll be presented with various problems you might be encountering. I clicked on Phone, Messages & Cellular Data. Once I clicked on Phone, Messages & Cellular Data I was given a more detailed list of problems.
- I clicked on Voicemail not working as expected. Once I clicked on that, I was immediately taken to a page titled, “How would you like to get help?” You can choose Chat, Talk to Apple Support Now (by phone), Schedule a Call, and Call Apple Support Later. I would rather speak with a person right away rather than use any of the other choices, so I chose Talk to Apple Support Now. It tells you to give them your phone number and Apple Support will call you now and give you the amount of time before they call.
If you’re as fortunate as I, you’ll get a really excellent Support Advisor and be able to resolve your issue. Good luck!
The iOS 9 upgrade apparently wiped out my voicemail password, so AT&T defaulted to regular voicemail.
Recommendation: either call your carrier, or go to their website, and reset your voicemail password.
Then enter the password if necessary, or change it, in Settings.
When I did that simple thing, about 7 voicemails showed up and Visual Voicemail was back in business.
Simpler than I feared and kept me from having to wipe out network settings (which includes WiFi etc) and start over.
Thanks this worked for me. Here is the URL for ATT reset password support page. I was able to reset the password using the myATT app.