Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

am I not understanding automatic app updates correctly?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought ios7 was supposed to download and install app updates automatically in the background. I have this feature engaged on my phone, but today I just happened to click on the updates button in the App Store out of my own curiosity, and I had 21 apps waiting to be updated! I thought this was supposed to happen automatically if I was on a wifi connection.

iPod touch, iOS 5

Posted on Sep 25, 2013 5:56 PM

6 replies

Oct 8, 2013 6:35 AM in response to bgaviator

bgaviator wrote:

....what does having the phone plugged in have anything to do with the WiFi being on? Or did you mean the phone has to be plugged in, as well as WiFi engaged, in order for the auto app update to work?

When iPhone sleeps, Wi-Fi will be disconnected to save battery. If you want Wi-Fi to stay alive, connect to a power supply.

You can of course switch cellular data on for automatic updates if that's what you want if Wi-Fi is off.

Oct 23, 2013 5:13 PM in response to bgaviator

I had 84 apps that did not automatically update. After 4 hours and 5 techs today did not get an answer. However last tech I talked to said it could be because not all developers have updated their apps with the code for ios7 required to get the automatic updates. So what happens is that anything in the update que without the correct code will need to be cleared /updated to allow any apps below it with the correct code to update. Tech suppose to call on Friday to see if his theory is correct.

Anyone out there know of a different reason, please post it.

Many thanx

am I not understanding automatic app updates correctly?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.