Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Still getting "Software Update Failed" when attempting to download iOS 7 on iPhone 4S.

I've tried countless times now to download iOS 7 on my 4S which is currently running iOS 6.1.3. It downloads completely then in the "Preparing Update..." stage it gives me an error box saying "Software Update Failed. An error occurred downloading iOS 7.0." The same thing happens every time, I've rebooted and reset my pone several times as well as logging in an out of my Apple ID all with no success. It's not like it takes an unusual amount of time downloading or anything, and once it finishes downloading it shows less storage in the "About" section in "Settings" but goes back to where it was once it gives the error message. Just a note, I was able to download iOS 7 on my iPad 3 the day the software was released without a long waiting period or any hassle. I appreciate any input. Thank you.

iPhone 4S, iOS 7

Posted on Sep 25, 2013 6:46 PM

6 replies

Sep 25, 2013 7:47 PM in response to ckuan

Thanks for the response. I have 16.5 GB of available space at the moment. I've tried it connected to a wall charger and connected to my wifi, my schools wifi, and my gyms wifi all with no success. I have not tried it from iTunes but after posting this question a few suggestioned discussions came up, one of which recommended backing up to iCloud or iTune and then performing a complete restore. I'm in the process of doing that now, whether it works or doesn't work I will get back to either way. Thanks again.

Still getting "Software Update Failed" when attempting to download iOS 7 on iPhone 4S.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.