Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS7 iTunes automatically starting and trumping other music apps

I'm using an iPhone 5 with Rhapsody 3.5.3 and iOS7.

I like using iTunes, but I also enjoy using other music apps such as: Rhapsody and Wolfgang's Vault.

With iOS6 I could use the controls on my external devices to operate the above mentioned apps. For example with iOS6 I could use the controls my Jam speaker or Bluetooth headphones to skip or go back on a Rhapsody playlist. Now, with iOS7, when I use the controls on my external devices itunes launches automatically and starts playing.

Here an example I encounter every day:

- I'll plug my iPhone into the USB/iPod port of my car (2013 Kia with iPod integration)

- I'll start a playlist or album on Rhapsody .

- The title of the song, artist, and album appear on my radio display.

- When I press the, "next button" on my radio a song from iTunes starts.

In other words, the iTunes app now automatically launches and trumps Rhapsody.

With iOS6 I was able to control Rhapsody using the controls on my car's radio.

I would really love to be able to use my radio controls to control Rhapsody again, doing so helps keep me focused on the road because the controls are located on the steering wheel.

Everytime I try to advance a track on Rhapsody iTunes automatically starts, it's making me sick, no exaggeration.

Seriously, I loved Apple until this began occurring. Is there any way to turn this off? PLEASE?

iPhone 5, iOS 7

Posted on Sep 25, 2013 9:20 PM

4 replies

Dec 6, 2013 10:32 AM in response to Faketranstremm

Hey Faketranstremm,

I am encountering the same issue. I have an iphone 4s on ios 7, and the moment i plug my iphone into my bmw via USB cable, itunes automatically starts playing. I prefer listening to my music through Soundcloud, but no matter what, Itunes overrides Soundcloud and it is extremely frustrating. I mean even if i press pause on the Itunes song, and press play on the soundcloud song, in 5 seconds it automatically starts playing the first song on my itunes list.

What can we do about this? Apple needs to help us out someway!

Mar 2, 2014 6:12 PM in response to coallaw

I'm having the same issue with an Audi A4. I have a bluetooth adapter that the car reads as a USB plug. It doesn't do it every time, but most times it goes back to the first song in my library. Very frustrating. I can't tell for sure this is a bug with Apple and not Audi, but since others are seeing the same issue I'm guessing it is Apple's fault.

Mar 2, 2014 6:21 PM in response to whootang12

I've continued to research. As to BMW, the notes to BMW's recent upgrade to the entertainment system say that with iphone a "bug" is that occasionally just starts playing. I believe this is an apple issue as many posts show similar problem across many cars. Some are when using hardware and some bluetooth. I think it's just a problem in how the various auto systems integrate with the phone. My only cure is to disengage the connectivity of the bluetooth streaming audio on the car's system and reselect it when I want to stream audio. Kind of a pain but at least on the BMW it doesn't disconnected the bluetooth feature of the telephone when I do that. Hopefully this will be cured in future upgrades either to the phone or the software in the car (which is upgradable). But I have the latest version now. Interestingly most people say plays first song. Mine picks up with whatever it was playing before, either song or audio book.

iOS7 iTunes automatically starting and trumping other music apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.