Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

UPDATE ON CREATING AND SYNCING RINGTONES

There is a link...

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3792

to create and ringtones using iTunes 10. This video, be it helpful, is completely out of date. The interface is completely out of date and basically useless. So I am reaching out to any iphone users, is there is a better reference to create ringtones and syncing them to the latest Ip5s utilizing the latest iTunes 11 and higher?

I am in need of specifics of why the conversion from .mp3 to .m4r doesn’t work as prescribed per the Cnet tutorial video (see link below)…

http://cnettv.cnet.com/create-free-ringtones-itunes-10/9742-1_53-50093086.html

…,that is still floating around on the apple site as a reference tool, how the simple drag and drop option does not function the same in the later versions of iTunes 11 and later. Any assistance would be greatlful.

iPhone 5s, iOS 7

Posted on Sep 25, 2013 10:12 PM

11 replies

Sep 25, 2013 10:44 PM in response to Mr_Magic

DIY version

1. Select a title (.mp3 or .m4a) in your iTunes Library

2. Do File > Get Info on selected title (Windows do Edit > Get Info)

3. In the dialog choose Options tab

4. Set Start Time and End Time (no more than 35 secs otherwise won't work)

5. Close dialog.

6. Now control click the title (right click) and choose Create AAC Version

Note: If you don't have Create AAC version, switch in menu File > Preferences...(Windows do Edit > Preferences...) > General > Import Settings... > Import Using: AAC Encoder.

7. When it is done, drag the newly create title to the desktop.

8. Delete the newly create title in iTunes. <-- This step is important

9. Rename the title on your desktop from ringtone.m4a to ringtone.m4r

10. Drag and drop it into iTunes

Now you have a ringtone.

Make sure it is selected in iTunes > Tones for syncing with your new iPhone.

Sep 26, 2013 4:33 AM in response to ckuan

I truly appreciate the instructions. I received these same instructions and completed them before posting the question. I have repeated and repeated this drag and drop function numerous times and here is my dilemma…..IT DOES NOT WORK….lol. Once the drag and drop function is being conducted an icon of the files appear with a caption that says “Link”. I drop the files (.m4r format) and nothing happens. The files are not within or on or associated with iTunes. I have searched and searched throughout iTunes (i.e. via the list of songs that I have already placed within iTunes) and can not find the files at all. As I search through Music, Movies, Tones, etc these are not located within iTunes. I have screen shots but can not upload to this comment response.

Oct 4, 2013 5:00 PM in response to Mr_Magic

Mr_Magic wrote:

I truly appreciate the instructions. I received these same instructions and completed them before posting the question. I have repeated and repeated this drag and drop function numerous times and here is my dilemma…..IT DOES NOT WORK….lol. Once the drag and drop function is being conducted an icon of the files appear with a caption that says “Link”. I drop the files (.m4r format) and nothing happens. The files are not within or on or associated with iTunes. I have searched and searched throughout iTunes (i.e. via the list of songs that I have already placed within iTunes) and can not find the files at all. As I search through Music, Movies, Tones, etc these are not located within iTunes. I have screen shots but can not upload to this comment response.

Well instead of DnD, you can import the ringtones using File > Add to Library...

Oct 10, 2013 4:54 AM in response to Mr_Magic

hi

Don't know if you sorted this problem out, but I found that I was trying to convert to .m4r, but because I couldn't actually see the extension, I was actually just adding the text .m4r to the file name! It was still an .m4a file!

If that is your case, then:

'Usually, the file extension will not show until you unhide extensions for known file types. For Windows 7/8, go to control panel, on top right corner click large icons in the view by tab, find and click folder options, click the view tab, scroll down and uncheck "hide extensions for known file types", click apply and then ok, good to go."

Found that info at http://www.idealshare.net/audio-converter/how-to-convert-m4a-to-m4r.html

Jan 1, 2014 11:17 PM in response to Mr_Magic

Here's how I solved the problem (and it was driving me crazy!):

I kept trying to get the song to start at 12:63 (that is 12.63 seconds or some equivalent) and it WOULD NOT WORK!! Then I found that if I rounded up (or down) for example - to 12 seconds exactly - it WORKED! Don't put any colon or anything after the number. Just numbers. Worked for me. Hope that this helps.

UPDATE ON CREATING AND SYNCING RINGTONES

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.