Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will a macbook air be enough for my needs?

Hello everyone,

I'm looking to get a new mac, and I am in a bit of a dilemma between the MBA and the MBP (non retina).

First of all, let me explain that the reasons for not getting the retina are basically that I feel a bit uncomfortable/scared because of all the "ghosting problems" that one comes across almost everywhere on the web. Even though I know AppleCare could take care of it, etc, I just don't have the time in my daily workload to 1) go somewhere to get help, and 2) be a few days/weeks without a computer.

My current and near future needs are:

1. Development tools

1a. I will run different development tools/IDEs (not at the same time, of course), like Netbeans, PyCharm, Eclipse, etc. Even Visual Studio 2012 on a VM/Parallels.

1b. Compiling time is an issue

1c. Git(hub)

2. Document/File editing

2a. For this I'd need something for LaTex, and then Pages, MacVim, TextMate, etc.

3. Web development (no graphics)

3a. I run a wiki for college which is located in a remote server, a personal web page, and a forum.

4. Browsing/Info, Mail, Newsgroups, Skype, etc

4a. Typical web browsing for information (no facebook, no twitter, etc), RSS feeds, etc.

4b. I haven't gotten used to "Mail", so I use Thunderbird for mail and newsgroups

4c. I need to run Skype

5. Virtualization

5a. I will run either a VM or Parallels for a virtual windows and a virtual linux machine to test out stuff and use programs which are

required for the university. I will most probably not have them both running at the same time, but I can never be sure.

6. VPN

6a. I will need to use a secure remote connection to the university.

7. SFTP, SSH, etc

To connect to remote servers in the university.

8. Long hours of staring into the screen

9. Portability.

9a. I don't mind dragging weight with me, but only if I really need it. Sometimes I have to get up and go to another classroom, or just take a break to get a coffee, etc, and I need to bring my laptop with me since I can't leave it around unattended.

10. Battery life

Although I will always try to plug in, this will not always be possible and in such cases I need to rely on my laptop to not let me down in times of need.

I don't do any video/music/foto editing. I'm an engineering major specializing in embedded systems but also need to take classes in databases, Java/C# development, etc. I know most IDEs are bloated, and so it is important that I get enough power to run at least one of them at a given time without experiencing lag or crashes.

I've worked on 12,5", 13,3" and 15" screens and I am able to cope with all of those. I have a cheap 22" monitor in the dorm where I can just plug in my computer when I'm home, but needless to say I am barely home...

I know the MBAs have recently gotten a very good upgrade, and are very well built, whereas the MBPs have a CD/DVD drive which I don't need and still use a slightly oldier technolgy. Also, one of my concerns is about the possible "breakability" of the MBA. I don't know how strong it is, but I need to feel comfortable enough to have it in my backpack while taking the bus/train/subway full of people and not being afraid that it'll break because I forgot to put the back between my legs or something like it. With the pro, I'd be pretty conscious of it because of the weight, and also, the big and thick laptop won't just "break" ;-)

I'd love to get some input/ideas on this to try and make the wisest decision possible.

Thanks for your time.

Posted on Sep 26, 2013 2:28 AM

6 replies

Sep 26, 2013 4:22 AM in response to mguasch

I don't treat my MBA any differently than my MBP - it is two years old and in pristine shape. There are two big physical differences between the Air and Pro that probably do make the Air somewhat more susceptible to damage. First, unlike the glossy MacBook Pros, there is no glass shield on the LCD. I've seen people poke at their screens with a pen to point things out to others. With the Pro that's no big deal owing to the glass. With the Air there's the potential for the pen to poke the display and damage it. Second, the lid is much thinner. I've seen my wife put things on top of her Air and I cringe...but hers is just fine too.

In the past I've described the MBP as a tank - the MBA is more like an armored limo. Your typical consumer PC notebook is a Yugo.

Will a macbook air be enough for my needs?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.