Announcement: Update to iOS 12

Enjoy a faster and more responsive experience as well as fun new features, like Memoji and Camera Effects.
Get iOS 12 > https://support.apple.com/ios/update

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Moved to Android - People still sending SMS as iMessage

So I recently moved to Android from iPhone - just wanted a change, I am not saying Android is better or anything so don't hurt me!

I still have an iPad and Macbook - not sure if they could be the cause of my issues here.

But basically, my contacts who use iPhones still send me texts as iMessages, even if they have the toggle switched to send as SMS when iMessage isn't available. I have got it to work on certain people's phones by asking them to turn iMessage off and back on and eventually it figures it out. But this obviously isn't ideal as I don't want to have to ask every one of my contacts with an iPhone to do this.

So I scoured the forums and found a few suggestions but none of which seems to have worked. Including changing my iCloud password, unauthorizing my iPhone online, etc etc. Also before I traded my iPhone the AT&T chap didn't ask me to log out of/turn off iMessage on the device, which I think may be the root cause of the problem.

I am hoping someone here can let me know a definitive way of getting my cell number removed from this iMessage database I keep reading about. I would be really grateful.

Thanks!

Posted on

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Page content loaded

Question marked as Helpful

Sep 26, 2013 7:01 AM in response to pthickett In response to pthickett

The iPad being WiFi only doesn't matter. It is still possible to use your phone nubmer as an address if it on your AppleID. Check the send and receive for the iPad (and the MacBook) to see it it is there.

Sep 26, 2013 7:01 AM

Reply Helpful (1)

Sep 26, 2013 8:37 AM in response to pthickett In response to pthickett

Have you turned off iMessage for your mobile number before inserting it to your Android phone? If you have not turned it off before using it on another mobile phone not iOS, then your number will still be detected as registered in iMessage.

Related support article: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2755

Under "Additional Information":

If you plan on transferring your SIM card or phone number from an iPhone to a device that does not support iMessage, turn off iMessage in Settings > Messages first. If you do not, other iOS devices may continue to try to send a message using iMessage first, instead only using SMS or MMS.

Sep 26, 2013 8:37 AM

Reply Helpful (1)

Sep 26, 2013 8:50 AM in response to pthickett In response to pthickett

If you have access to an iPhone, insert your SIM then activate iMessage. Once activated, deactivate iMessage again. This is to somehow trigger the registration and de-registration of your mobile number from iMessage service. If still not working, call AppleCare. Hope this helps. 😉

Sep 26, 2013 8:50 AM

Reply Helpful

Sep 26, 2013 8:52 AM in response to pthickett In response to pthickett

pthickett wrote:

Just variants of my email address linked to my apple ID, from my original @mac, to @me and @icloud.

For your new phone, they should be using your phone number. That is the only thing assocaited with your SMS service with yor carrier.

Sep 26, 2013 8:52 AM

Reply Helpful

Sep 26, 2013 11:26 AM in response to Kilgore-Trout In response to Kilgore-Trout

While I am sure that by jumping on someone elses iphone will fix this, I feel like its going to mess with their settings/email stuff as I will have to sign into icloud on their phone etc etc.

I will try the applecare route and report back...

Thanks for the help so far.

Sep 26, 2013 11:26 AM

Reply Helpful

Sep 26, 2013 11:31 AM in response to pthickett In response to pthickett

Whatever you do, do not let anyone convince you to install the iMessage App for Android now in google play. Numerous reports are now out that the app has several serious security flaws in it and I gather people are trying to get it removed from Google play if possible.

Just a heads up in case some Android users chimes in suggesting to try it.

Sep 26, 2013 11:31 AM

Reply Helpful

Sep 26, 2013 12:18 PM in response to iZayk In response to iZayk

Thanks for the heads up about the iMessage app!

I just finished with Apple Support, they suggested simply to do a password reset. This means that anyone texting me will get a failure, followed by a prompt to send as SMS.

Then they will just need to remove my contact from their address book and re-add me and it should be ok after that....

Sep 26, 2013 12:18 PM

Reply Helpful

Oct 30, 2013 6:42 AM in response to pthickett In response to pthickett

I've been fighting this battle for weeks. I too switched to andriod and did not sign out of iMessage before turning in my iPhone 4. I wish the guy at the Apple store would have warned me about this. I did all the tricks and got it working partially. I unregistered my phone from the support site. I changed my apple id password. I was not able to do the SIM trick because my new SIM (for LG G2) doesn't fit in the iPhone. I called apple support twice. They unregistered my phone number on their end.

Once they did this, iPhone users get an error when texting me directly. That's a good thing. This lets them know there's a problem and they switch to SMS. However, if an iPhone user sends a group text with other iPhone numbers and myself, it still goes out as iMessage and there is no failure message back to the user. I simply do not get the text.

This is very frustrating. I don't understand why this is so difficult. If an apple device receives an SMS from my number, that should be the trigger to stop trying to use my phone number with iMessage. I shouldn't have to jump through all these hoops just to get it working partially.

I have resorted to asking all of my family and friends who have iPhones to disable iMessage on their device. Is that ridiculous or what?!? This is the only solution I found that works in every scenario. Everyone has done this as nobody feels iMessage provides any value anyway. Everyone has unlimited texts these days. The only benefit is to be able to text someone with an iTouch/iPad with no phone service. I don't have that scenario in my circle.

Shame on your Apple for making this so difficult!!

Oct 30, 2013 6:42 AM

Reply Helpful (2)
User profile for user: pthickett

Question: Moved to Android - People still sending SMS as iMessage