Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

use MacBook Pro battery

hello i just bought macbook pro 13. How to use the battery? to connect the magsafe all the time to the macbook? to do cycle every month?

Thanks

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Sep 26, 2013 7:29 AM

5 replies

Sep 26, 2013 9:59 AM in response to Aviramyosef

Yes you can. Every month or so. I use my MBP all over my house. Sometimes I have the AC charger in my living room, sometimes in my bedrrom and other times in my kitchen. Wherever the charger is at the moment and I want or need to use the computer in another room for a short period of time, 10 minute to a couple of hours, I just disconnect the charger and run it off the battery. If I plan on using it in that other room for an extended period of time I move the charge with the system.

This seems to have worked fine for me over the years I have owned Mac notebooks.

Aviramyosef wrote:

Thank you. Sometimes to do cycle to the battery?

Sep 26, 2013 10:01 AM in response to Aviramyosef

Keep it plugged in when near a socket so you keep the charging cycles DOWN on your LiPo (lithium polymer) cells / battery.

Just unplug it every month at LEAST and drain down to 30% or so.

*Contrary to some myths out there, there is protection circuitry in your macbook and therefore you cannot 'overcharge' it when plugged in and already fully charged

LiPo (lithium polymer, same as in your macbook) batteries do not need conditioning. However...

LiPo batteries do NOT like to be dropped down to 15% or so often,....key word being "often"

Never let your Macbook die from power, you can corrupt files that way, and the batteries do not like it.

The only quantified abuse seen to LiPo cells is instances when often the cells are repeatedly drained very low.

Contrary to what some might say, LIPo batteries have an "ideal" break in period. First ten cycles or so, don't discharge down past 40% of the battery's capacity.

Same way you dont take a new car out and speed and rev the engine hard first 100 or so miles.

*Also, if youre going to store your macbook away for a few weeks or more,... make sure it has at least a 50% or so charge.

*Cycle count / use/ lifespan is one thing that cant be countered.

Proper treatment is another thing. Just because LiPo batteries dont need conditioning in general,.. does NOT mean they dont have an ideal use / recharge environment. Anything can be abused even if it doesnt need conditioning.

Just use and enjoy your new macbook, 😍

use MacBook Pro battery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.