Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod video 30GB 5th gen

I bought an iPod video 2nd hand recently, and am having real trouble syncing it. iTunes recognises it fine, and I've made a huge 3000 song playlist to sync to it, but it gives up after 80 songs and won't sync.

I recently changed PC, and on my old PC I had the same issue, so I had to sync it 50 songs at a time and keep building the playlist. Now I'm on a new PC, I've obviously had to restore my iPod and resync it to my new machine, and the problem has arisen again, but I can't be bothered to sync 50 songs at a time all over again!

Any help appreciated.. I'm on newest version of iTunes etc of course.

iPod Video-OTHER, Other OS, iPod video 30GB 5th gen v1.3

Posted on Sep 26, 2013 9:22 AM

5 replies

Sep 26, 2013 1:00 PM in response to Jopzorz

What error message do you get, if any, when it "gives up after 80 songs"? Is it exactly 80 songs every time?

As a test, go to the iPod's Summary screen in iTunes, and Enable disk use, if it's not already. The iPod appears as a storage disk to Windows. Use Window Explorer to copy some large files to it, such as a folder that has a large amount of video files. Are you able to copy a few GBs worth of data to the iPod (outside of iTunes) without error?

Be sure to delete those test files you copied onto the iPod and empty the Trash.

Oct 9, 2013 1:37 PM in response to Jopzorz

Check this Apple KB for troubleshooting info and error codes, also follow iPod 5th Gen troubleshooter

First try using a different USB cable as it sounds like a USB connection issue - either the cable itself or the connector on the iPod has issues.

If error persists first reset iPod by toggling hold switch, then holding down menu and select/center buttons until it restarts.

Last resort is restoring the iPod to factory settings using iTunes. See iPod troubleshooter above.

If that fails then you might have a failing hard drive.

I have the same iPod and have already replaced the headphone jack and battery for less than 15 bucks, so check on Amazon for replacement HD. There are plenty of instructions on YouTube.

iPod video 30GB 5th gen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.