Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Downloading Upgrade ios7 on iPad

I´m trying to download the new ios7 update on my iPad but it tells me there is not enough storage, that I need 3.3 MG of storage. Well I bought more storage for $20 from the Apple Store and now I have 12.9 G of storage and I´m still getting the same message. What is the problem??

iPad (3rd generation) Wi-Fi

Posted on Sep 26, 2013 10:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2013 10:42 AM

What you bought was iCloud storage - additional space in your iCloud account on Apple's servers.

Your device's storage cannot be upgraded - it is limited to whatever you originally bought - 16GB, 32GB or 64GB.

To free up space on your device, you will need to delete things on it. For example, transfer your photo's to your photo management software on your computer and then delete them from your camera roll. Or delete apps you do not need or use. Or delete music you have backed up on your computer and no longer listen to, or pdf's you have already read, or podcasts you've already listened to. But the only way to free space on your iPad is to remove some of what is currently taking up space on it.

You can also try plugging your iPad into your computer and use iTunes to update, as that will require far less space on your iPad since the download goes onto your computer and is run from there.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 26, 2013 10:42 AM in response to Jinx kitty

What you bought was iCloud storage - additional space in your iCloud account on Apple's servers.

Your device's storage cannot be upgraded - it is limited to whatever you originally bought - 16GB, 32GB or 64GB.

To free up space on your device, you will need to delete things on it. For example, transfer your photo's to your photo management software on your computer and then delete them from your camera roll. Or delete apps you do not need or use. Or delete music you have backed up on your computer and no longer listen to, or pdf's you have already read, or podcasts you've already listened to. But the only way to free space on your iPad is to remove some of what is currently taking up space on it.

You can also try plugging your iPad into your computer and use iTunes to update, as that will require far less space on your iPad since the download goes onto your computer and is run from there.

Sep 26, 2013 11:14 AM in response to Michael Black

Thank you, Michael for a quick and thorough answer. So I spent $20 for nothing. Oh, well. I did delete programs, and I still got the same message, but will go ahead and take off the photos. Good idea. The message I got told me either to delete apps from the device OR buy storage. I deleted some apps but it didn't seem to be enough, so I bought the storage. It shouldn't be giving me that option if it doesn't work. I feel taken.

Thank you for your help.

Jinx Kitty 🙂

Sep 26, 2013 5:24 PM in response to Michael Black

Thank you, Michael. I may do that. Now I have another question. I never moved my photos before. I put the cord in the iPad and plugged it into my pc (Windows 8). I went to the device in "computer" (used to be "my computer" I think) and found the pictures but I don't know how to transfer them. Do i have to check each little box then do something? Or can I transfer them all at once? I don't know how to get them to "pictures" (used to be "my pictures" in Windows 7--sheesh they had to change so many things with Windows 8) Anyway, I'm used to automatically something popping up when I plug in my iPhone to transfer pictures. That didn't happen here. Thank you.

JK

Downloading Upgrade ios7 on iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.