Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 7 horrific battery drain - anyone else?

I got a solid 8 hours of usage and 24-48 hours standby depending on how long it took me to rack up 8 hours of usage under the previous iOS. I made absolutely no changes to my phone other than downloading iOS 7 and I had 4 hours usage max. I followed this guide and turned off ALL the "cool new features" and still I top 4 hours 30 min usage time MAX: http://www.everythingicafe.com/fix-battery-life-ios-7/2013/09/23/. It's really not even usage time but "unlocked" time.

The worst part is that this battery drain, unlke the horrific battery I and thousands of others got on the first releases of the iPhone 5 is not related to cellular data usage. It happens on WiFi or even just cellular voice/text service with no data. If the phone is unlocked the battery drains. HORRIFIC!

iPhone 4S, iOS 7

Posted on Sep 26, 2013 11:43 AM

9 replies

Sep 26, 2013 12:00 PM in response to Axeman1020

Did that and does not help. But anyway what is the point of a top of the line apple device if you cannot enjoy any of the conveniences it was designed to provide like upgrading your device but keeping your data, settings, apps, etc.

With iPhone 4S they had they ridiculous "no sim" bug, then with iPhone 5 there was the battery drain with any cellular data usage now iOS 7 seems to allow everyone to enjoy the iPhone 5 battery drain on any device with or without cellular data usage - now that's innovation!

Sep 26, 2013 12:21 PM in response to Axeman1020

There was no hang on mine. Battery problems have become the rule and not the exception for me and 10's of thousands of others ever since iPhone 5 as verified by the forums. Nobody cares about "I haven't had battery issues" - THOUSANDS of us do. Same thing when the iPhone 5 came out. Nobody wants to erase everything and restore as new - this defeats the purpose of buying a top of the line phone that is supposed to give you the conveinece of seamless upgrades and always keeping your data sync'd.

The FACT is battery issues plague MANY MANY MANY users and "just erase everything and restore as new" is not a viable fix. If I wanted to scrap everything and start again I'd get a samsung or a sony or something else - I don't hear complaints about battery from those guys. I don't need a new part time job of trouble shooting my overpriced apple devices. Not to mention how ridiculous is it that there are no apple employees that help here - we're just left to support ourselves.

Horendous.

Sep 28, 2013 11:50 PM in response to Axeman1020

Lol... Apple support.

http://www.everythingicafe.com/fix-battery-life-ios-7/2013/09/23/

Even after turning off EVERYTHING horrific battery drain remains. I had the same battery drain with iPhone 5. I restored from new, then I exchanged the iPhone 5 for a new one. Still horrible battery drain. With iPhone 5 it was only if the phone was using cellular data. So I downgraded to iPhone 4S. Battery life back to ~8 hours usage and 20-24 hours stand by no problem. Upgrade to iOS 7 and the same battery drain is back only this time it's not just cellular data - it's ANY TIME the iPhone is unlocked at all. In both cases the phone got hot. Apple is officially a company that just makes things worse and worse and worse. Apple's support never had a clue what was wrong in either case bu they were happy to waste hours of my time fooling around with it and have me a erase my phone to new which really defeats the purpose of continuing to buy iPhones in the first place. If I wanted to redownload all my apps, restup everything the way I like it, import the contacts etc. I could just buy a competing phone. Probably would have taken less time than what I've wasted trying to fix Apple's horrific battery bugs.

Isn't there some App that can monitor what is killing the battery (and probably the CPU/GPU since it's always hot)? It doesn't seem like this should be so complicated. What kind of a shoddy product would allow one process to kill hte phone so quickly and not have any diagnostic system onboard to determine what is causing the problem?

Sep 29, 2013 12:43 PM in response to brsm1990

Not that it is an acceptable or reasonable fix but I have restored now TWICE, once regular, once DFU and there is no fix, even with no apps installed battery drain is still ridiculous. Basically unusuable. On fresh install to factory settings with no apps reinstalled I got 2 hours 30 min usage and 4 hours stand by with only 30% battery left. Absolutely unbelievable.

Another weird thing I noticed which I'm not sure is related is that the phone indicates it is recharging must faster than I would expect. Maybe 50 minutes for a full charge. This is only since iOS 7. And no it's not a question of the phone indicating the percentage wrong and not being charged enough - the battery drain remains even if charged overnight. I have also tried running it down till it dies and recharging. It makes no difference.

Mar 18, 2014 7:40 AM in response to brsm1990

I agree.. I have tried restoring as new, restoring from backup, turning off ALL of the "features".. I even turned off LTE. I have tried everything there is on the web and still my battery even locked drains 10-20% an hour with nothing running. It has been this way since day one on ios7. LITERALLY the day before i updated my phone it would last 8 hours with heavy use. A few days after the update, it was down to 3 hours heavy use. And that was on wi-fi too... My phone is 14-16 months old now. And was a year old when i regrettably updated to ios7. I called apple and had a diagnostic on my battery a month ago. It passed at 91%. They told me to get a new battery for 100$ or so, and said it still may not fix the problem. They only other thing they said was "buy a new one".. Absolutely unacceptable! I am convinced at this point.. Somewhere in the code of ios7 was something designed to drain batteries, as a ploy to sell more parts and labor fixing things that arent really broken. The latest "culprit" i found on the internet was Icloud supposedly searching for network all the time despite it supposedly "only backing up when plugged in and connected to wi-fi." But tons of people are on the web claiming it solved their issue. I am trying this now and will let you know if it works. But i still honestly believe this is a "planned obsolescence" scheme by apple to sell parts. Absolutely terrible and how coincidental Jobs passes away and software and quality immediately suffers... SMH. 800$ i paid for a phone that lasts less than two years before its a paperweight. UNBELIEVABLE. I am still flabbergasted that my only two options for solving my problem with battery drain was "BUY a new battery" or "BUY a new phone". Unacceptable and just flat out wrong. I have a Iphone5 running ios7.0.6. Will update on icloud "fix" asap.

iOS 7 horrific battery drain - anyone else?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.