Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Profile Manager - certificate and setup questions

I'm currently learning about profile manager and have it setup and working using self-signed certs on our internal network. I'd like to get this setup and working to start moving all of our ~200ish IOS devices away from an simple installed configuration profile to enrolling the devices in profile manger.

I currently have this server setup on a mac mini server running 10.8.5. It has an a-record of miniserver.company.com. Self-signed cert matches that as well and profile manager displays that when logging in. I plan to use a cert from a provider and have the machine talking to the outside world.

1. The Certificate would likely be purchased from digicert. Do I just need a SSL certificate from them and use that as the code signing cert and the web SSL cert?

2. Is it possible to use a CNAME such as MDM.company.com - > miniserver01.company.com. My main concern would be if profile manager would not like this AND what I'd need to do with the certificate.

Currently have users go to an internal web page with "choose your location" links to install the proper profile. All profiles setup exchange and force pass codes. Profiles differ to hand out appropriate wifi config. Is there an easy way to do this in profile manager? I'm assuming it would rely me setting profiles to manual configuration OR me having to manually manage a bunch of groups in profile manager. I'd prefer for this to be a self service thing. Any hints on how you've organized this?

Anything else i should consider?

Thanks!

Aaron

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Sep 26, 2013 12:03 PM

There are no replies.

Profile Manager - certificate and setup questions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.