Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't connect to Extreme

I just bought one of the new Airport Extreme Dual-band base stations and it set up fine.

Before I set up the new one, I changed the name of the previous Extreme (which was working fine, just too slow because it was last year's model), to avoid possible conflicts, updated it and then used the "reset to factory settings" to make sure it was no longer set up to create the network. Updated again, it came up with a request to create a network just like it should. So I unplugged it to set up the new one.

After installing the new Base Station, I plugged in the previous one (model A1408) but Airport Utility doesn't see it on WiFi.

If I plug it into Ethernet then it is visible and can be set up, but only as an Ethernet extender. I can't configure it as a WiFi extender. So I did a factory reset and I still have the same problem. It keeps telling me there's an "error reading the configuration file." I've now done the factory reset about 10 times, no change in behavior.

Can someone help out with this? I'm at a complete loss what to do now.

Posted on Sep 26, 2013 12:39 PM

3 replies

Sep 26, 2013 12:47 PM in response to Adwiz

...and then used the "reset to factory settings" to make sure it was no longer set up to create the network.

Sorry, but that is not correct. The results of a factory default reset would result in the base station broadcasting an unsecured wireless network with a network name of something like: Apple Network NNNNNN. In this state it WOULD be set up to "create the network."

After installing the new Base Station, I plugged in the previous one (model A1408) but Airport Utility doesn't see it on WiFi.

Unless you have the previous Extreme connected directly to the new one by Ethernet, then in order for the AirPort Utility to see it your Mac would first have to connect to its wireless network. This network should have shown up as a new AirPort in the OS X menu bar AirPort icon's drop-down menu. All you should have needed to do is select it and the AirPort Utility would have started. You could then just follow along with the Utility's automated step-by-step setup for what you wanted to use the previous AirPort for.

Sep 26, 2013 1:25 PM in response to Tesserax

Thanks for the quick reply, Tesserax. What I meant was that I didn't want it creating the old network when I plugged it back in, because that would have conflicted with the old network that was now being broadcast by the new Airport.

The previous Base Station doesn't show up anywhere. Not in "Other WiFi Devices" in the Airport Utility app, not in the menu bar, not anywhere. It's light blinks amber.

Like I said, when I connect it with Ethernet, it shows up under "Other WiFi Devices" but after I set it up, it won't appear once the Ethernet is disconnected, even though the "Extend Wireless Network" is selected and all the settings and password are examined and correct. I'm using Airport Utility 6.3.1 on OS X 10.8.5

Totally confused by all this.

I have a third Airport Extreme (the same model as the problem one, bought at the same time) and this one works great. I had to go in and re-establish the network that it was extending because of the new AE that I had set up as the network source, but it works great.

Given that both of these models are only 9 months old, I don't understand why this A1408 model is giving me these problems. I suppose I'll have to take it to the Apple store to have them look at it, since it's still under warranty.

Sep 26, 2013 1:39 PM in response to Adwiz

Hmm, I'm not sure why this one is giving you troubles either. One possible explanation is that the "factory default" reset didn't take. I have found in practice that is may take a few tries (2 or 3) for it to do so, but this is just a hunch in your case.

I would second your taking it to the Apple Store to have them take a look, and possibly get a replacement if necessary.

Can't connect to Extreme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.