Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini with 2 x Thunderbolt Ports (Target Display Mode woes)

While I realize there is no definitive answer for this, I wonder if/when Apple will release a Mac Mini with two thunderbolt ports anytime in the not too distant future? What do you guys think?

I have the following setup thunderbolt chain, ultimately so I can use my 27in iMac as a display for the Mac Mini:

Mac Mini > Ext HDD > Ext HDD > Ext HDD > iMac

The reason I ask is because in my application, any time I need to reboot the Mac Mini (often), the chain breaks temporarily and tries to connect the Ext HDDs to the Mac Mini (as epxected) while the Mac Mini is restarting. This of course results in having to login to the iMac, unmount the disks, and re-target display mode back in to the Mac Mini and mount them. Also, every time I disconnect and reconnect Target Display Mode, the Mac Mini lags about 5-8 seconds after each click of the mouse which is fairly frustrating (hence, restarting often which fixes it). The workaround of course is simply unplugging the thunderbolt connection from the iMac during the point of the restart process where the mini is shut off and waiting for the mini to mount all of the drives before reconnecting the thunderbolt cable. I also realize there is also the expensive option of getting a dock such as this but for that cost, I could almost get a second mac mini.

Thoughts on any/all of this?

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM

Posted on Sep 26, 2013 1:55 PM

1 reply

Mac Mini with 2 x Thunderbolt Ports (Target Display Mode woes)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.