Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do you synchronize hotmail across all apple devices

We utilize an Imac, Mc Book Air and iphone and want to bring hotmail email accounts across devices into sync.. any wisdom would be appreciated

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Sep 26, 2013 2:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2013 7:39 PM

It is not hard. I can tell you for setting up Outlook 2011 (Outlook for Mac). Go to accounts and add a new account. The first step is to type in your email. DO NOT TYPE IN YOUR HOTMAIL OR OUTLOOK.COM EMAIL. Type in a dummy address like example@example.com. By doing this you will get the option to set up an IMAP account otherwise Outlook will force you to use POP which does not allow syncing across devices like IMAP.

Now enter the following under your settings:

-Your real hotmail outlook.com email address

-your hotmail or outlook.com password

-for incoming server: imap-mail.outlook.com

---Incoming server port: 993 (you have to check the box "override default port" to change this

---Use SSL (make sure it is checked)

-Outgoing server: smtp-mail.outlook.com

--outgoing server port: 587

--use SSL to connect (make sure it is checked)

It is a similar process for setting up OS X Mail. Use a dummy email to bypass the automatic detection and then use the settings above. I confirm IMAP works for hotmail in both Outlook 2011 and Mail v.7.

On the iPhone I think you can actually just select Hotmail as an email account type and it will configure it automatically. Something to do with Hotmail supporting active sync with IOS devices but not desktops.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 9, 2013 7:39 PM in response to Mel_Sweet

It is not hard. I can tell you for setting up Outlook 2011 (Outlook for Mac). Go to accounts and add a new account. The first step is to type in your email. DO NOT TYPE IN YOUR HOTMAIL OR OUTLOOK.COM EMAIL. Type in a dummy address like example@example.com. By doing this you will get the option to set up an IMAP account otherwise Outlook will force you to use POP which does not allow syncing across devices like IMAP.

Now enter the following under your settings:

-Your real hotmail outlook.com email address

-your hotmail or outlook.com password

-for incoming server: imap-mail.outlook.com

---Incoming server port: 993 (you have to check the box "override default port" to change this

---Use SSL (make sure it is checked)

-Outgoing server: smtp-mail.outlook.com

--outgoing server port: 587

--use SSL to connect (make sure it is checked)

It is a similar process for setting up OS X Mail. Use a dummy email to bypass the automatic detection and then use the settings above. I confirm IMAP works for hotmail in both Outlook 2011 and Mail v.7.

On the iPhone I think you can actually just select Hotmail as an email account type and it will configure it automatically. Something to do with Hotmail supporting active sync with IOS devices but not desktops.

Nov 3, 2014 8:10 PM in response to ElizH

elizh, this does work even if you already have a hotmail acct set-up on the stock mail app.......

once i got mine set-up & working, i went into mail>preferences>accounts and set the original hotmail(pop) to inactive by unchecking the "enable this account" box.....that way if something goes wrong you can just re-enable if need be. i hope this addresses your concern....good luck 🙂

Nov 4, 2014 3:38 PM in response to denika78

Thanks denika78. I set it up and it seems to be working; now I have another problem that I'd forgotten about since the summer: hotmail seems only to keep 2 weeks of my emails on its server any more. I have no idea why and I don't know how to fix it. So those e-mails turned up in my newly-set-up inbox, but none of the hundreds/thousands of old e-mails that are in my other account and that show up on my mac even though they don't show up on the hotmail web interface any more. But that's not a mac problem; it's pretty clearly a hotmail/outlook issue.

Thanks again for your help.

Jan 5, 2016 1:53 PM in response to Briansyddall

Did that multiple times with no effect. You should know that I have encountered the same response on my MBP 20012 running OS X 10.11.2, and iPad 2 (iOS 9.2) and iPhone 6+ (iOS 9.2) I downloaded Thunderbird on my MBP for grins to see if I could use a third party to get Hotmail but the system would not let me.

I know that my Hotmail/Outlook password is working on line because that is where I am responding to you right now. Could there be something else in Hotmail/Outlook causing the problem?

how do you synchronize hotmail across all apple devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.