Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't Use Airplay.. Icon not appearing on macbook air or iPod 5th gen.

So I just bought the new macbook air 13' about a week ago. And apple tv also. I can't seem to get them to connect. I can't see the airplay icon at top of the screen nor is it available in display under system preferences. It says 'No Device Detected'.

Both apple tv and my macbook are connected to the same network. I have restarted the router, apple tv and my mac a few times and still it hasn't appeared. I've updated apple tv. But I was wondering if I'll need to update the os x? curently I have version 10.8.5. Do I need the os x mountain loin? Or does it matter?

Also I've tried connecting my ipod (5th gen with ios7) but it isn't appearing in the control centre. Does anyone know what I should do?

Oh I've already checked apple support/ troubleshoot but I still didn't work.

Thanks 🙂

Posted on Sep 26, 2013 2:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2013 8:45 PM

Same problem here using 15" macbook pro. Just updated to OS 10.8.5 and then latest ATV update as of today. Used to work just fine, now there is no icon for using airplay mirroring from MacBook Pro. Have not checked iOS7 devices.

18 replies

Oct 3, 2013 4:03 PM in response to soundless

Apple tv is finally working for me. Apple tv wasn't at fault,. It was actually my broadband provider's. I went onto eircom (they provide the internet) and they had a few steps that I needed to follow. I had to change a few settings. There was a few codes that needed to be added. And then the icon showed up!

Oct 31, 2013 6:55 AM in response to ecec22

I have this same issue on my MacBook Air (13-inch, Late 2010) model. My Apple TV is brand new and I ran all of the updates and restarted it. I have two iPhone 5's, a Mac Mini and a MacBook Pro 15" Retina. All of these devices have the Display Mirroring / AirPlay icon appear in the top menu bar. However, my MacBook Air doesn't have the icon. The MacBook Air has Mavericks with all Apple software updates installed. I've restarted multiple times unchecking and rechecking the System Prefs > Displays > Show mirroring options in the menu bar when available. Still no menu icon for AirPlay. Any ideas on how to resolve this? Thanks

Oct 31, 2013 11:34 AM in response to ecec22

I have just upgraded to Mavricks, and there is no AIRPLAY icon in the Macbook Pro menu via the just updated Apple TV. Everything is on the newest software. The icon is not there. I confirmed they are both now on the same 5ghz wireless network via an airport extream. So all Apple parts. Nothing is showing up. I DO have one apple cinema display via thunderbolt, and one regualr TV display via HDMI, but want to play out another monitor via apple tv to a old 42 inch monitor I have.

I also AM able to play via itunes. i.e. I CAN play itunes video content from itunes on same macbook to the same apple tv. But NO AIRPLAY display capability.

Any suggestions on what to try?

Dec 2, 2013 8:38 PM in response to ecec22

ok. I finally figured it out.

So it wasnt showing in the main menubar. I followed the suggestion to try to access it via system prefs, in displays. Right there at the bottom. Toggled it on, it showed up right away.

AND BTW: you CAN use it to EXTEND THE DESKTOP. I have THREE monitors plugged in now via the AppleTV.

It is very cool

Here is what it says:

You can also turn it on via System Preferences > Displays:

In Mavericks select AirPlay Display:

User uploaded file

In Mountain Lion:

User uploaded file

Mar 15, 2014 7:55 PM in response to ecec22

Initially when airplay does not show up on my macbook, I try these steps:

1. Restart the Apple TV

2. Restart the Router

3. Restart my Mac

Because sometime back, there was keep disconnection in airplay between my mac and apple tv.

After I bournce my Apple TV it was started working on. It might be cache issue on apple tv

Recently I noticed that after I install my McAfee antivirus, I could not see the airplay icon.

After I disabled the firewall option in MaAfee, I am able to see the airplay icon in my MacBook.

It might be helpful to others.

Bala

Can't Use Airplay.. Icon not appearing on macbook air or iPod 5th gen.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.