Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why will iphone not play video in landscape mode anymore

I am a HUGE purchaser and user of iTunes Music Videos and on my iPhone, I was happily playing them in playlists and watching them in landscape orientation as a video playlist.

I was quite upset when I bought my first iPad and found that it simply would not support this basic (for me) functionality. But I searched and found a music video playlist app and purchased what SHOULD HAVE BEEN included functionality on the iPad. Seriously, if the iPhone could do this basic operation why shouldn't the iPad, which is much better suited for video playlists with the bigger screen?

Now, after updating to iOS7, you've broken the functionality even moreso. Imagine my joy, surprise and sheer level of cursing and swearing when I turned my videos into landscape mode and found some dickbag has decided I should see album covers instead of my video in full screen on the phone.

So, Apple, the "We sell devices so that we can also sell the media" company, why are you screwing with something that should be basic and intuitive on the phone and ipad?

I, and I expect everyone else, expect to open the music app, go to the music videos playlist automatically generated in that app (BY your programmers) and then be able to play the videos from the video playlists you allow me to create - my own playlists in both portrait and landscape modes.

So please fix this ever-increasing pain in the ***. I will not be purchasing any more videos (And yes, check my history, I am quite likely in the top 5% of purchasers of music videos) because you are slowly removing the intuitive methods for playing them.

David Patrie

iPhone 5, iOS 7, Someone broke the music video play.

Posted on Sep 26, 2013 3:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2013 4:00 PM

Well said David....I share your frustration.

Music bought through Apple that cannot be played on an Apple device in full screen.....defies logic!!!!

9 replies

Nov 7, 2013 7:26 PM in response to DPatrie

If you're look at the top where your battery icon is, beside it is a new icon for screen lock. If the lock is closed that means your screen lock is on the new iOS 7. Swipe your finger from the bottom of the screen to bring up the new light gray control panel. Look for the lock and touch it to make it unlock. Presto you know have rotation ability return to your iPhone.

Jan 13, 2014 5:29 PM in response to DPatrie

I'm as frustrated as most of us with not being able to watch videos in landscape, what's the point especially having the iphone 5 with the bigger screen and having to watch a video which is the size of a match box what's the point, but if you browse music videos in iTunes and play the free 20 seconds or so of a video before you buy and turn phone to play in landscape hey presto it plays in full landscape but when you purchase the video it doesn't what's all that about? Is this a case of being misled? Bring back full landscape mode for videos please apple your suppose to be going forwards not backwards.

Apr 11, 2014 9:27 AM in response to DPatrie

A revolutionary A7 processor with 64-bit architecture, and none of those bits are smart enough to figure out "hey, maybe if my owner is listening to a video in the Music app and switches to landscape mode they're more interested in seeing the video larger, not unrelated album art thumbnails. Let me temporarily borrow the landscape view logic from the Video app."?

I hope they fix this at least by iOS 8. It's not logical (let alone user friendly) to exit out of the Music app and go into a separate Video app just to see a music video in landscape. The ironic thing is the Video app forces videos to be landscape – as if the logic it follows is that anyone watching a video really wants to see it in landscape – but yet that logic gets kicked off the boat when the video digits cross the river over to Music app land. 🙂

why will iphone not play video in landscape mode anymore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.