Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where are my old apps? Not on new phone.

I tried transferring my 4s to my 5s with icloud and didn't move 90% of my apps. I tried it again backing up to the computer from 4s then restoring from computer to 5s, again 90% are missing, only the same few apps moved over besides the new ones that came with 5s. Now if I look at either phone in itunes, all my apps are pictured on the right side (under apps) but nothing is listed on the left side where they all used to be listed. Same with the 5s, the few apps are listed on the right side but there is nothing listed under Apps on the left side.

Where are all the apps I bought--practically all where bought from the Apple app store. How can I get them and put them on my 5s? Is it because they aren't 64bit? I thought the 5s could handle both. I really need these apps.

Help!

iPad 2, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Sep 26, 2013 3:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2013 6:59 AM

Hello Steve,

Congratulations on your new iPhone 5s! I found some articles that will help you get your apps on your new iPhone.

This article will guide you through transferring information from your old iPhone to your new iPhone. I recommend trying the steps in this article first if you have not already, and if you use iCloud to transfer the backup to your new iPhone, verify that you are using the same Apple ID you used on the iPhone 4s.

iOS: Transferring information from your current iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to a new device

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2109

If you have already tried these steps, I recommend downloading the apps directly to your iPhone from the app store from your list of past purchases. Follow the steps under the section titled "iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch>Apps" in the following article:

Downloading past purchases from the iTunes Store, App Store, and iBooks Store

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2519

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Best,

Sheila M.

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 28, 2013 6:59 AM in response to Steve Garman

Hello Steve,

Congratulations on your new iPhone 5s! I found some articles that will help you get your apps on your new iPhone.

This article will guide you through transferring information from your old iPhone to your new iPhone. I recommend trying the steps in this article first if you have not already, and if you use iCloud to transfer the backup to your new iPhone, verify that you are using the same Apple ID you used on the iPhone 4s.

iOS: Transferring information from your current iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to a new device

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2109

If you have already tried these steps, I recommend downloading the apps directly to your iPhone from the app store from your list of past purchases. Follow the steps under the section titled "iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch>Apps" in the following article:

Downloading past purchases from the iTunes Store, App Store, and iBooks Store

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Best,

Sheila M.

Sep 28, 2013 8:23 PM in response to sheila_m.

None of these articles are relevant to my problem. I have 108 apps on my 4s but only 54 are listed in the left side of the apps page, even thought I bought every one of them from the Apple apps store. And only the 54 listed on the left are moving, via your itunes methods, over to the new 5s phone. It's as though the other 54 didn't exist although they are on the phone face/icon display on the right side of the page and the total is 108. How do I get them all to show up on the left and therefore move to the 5s. I have synced, backedup and retstored through itunes till I am blue in the face. Nothing seems to work.

Sep 28, 2013 8:30 PM in response to Steve Garman

Hi Steve,

Sign into iTunes with the Apple ID that you purchased the apps with

Open the iTunes Store and when it is open, go to the right side and click on Purchased under Quick Links.

Once the Purchased window comes up, click on the Apps tab, click on "All" in the top right-hand section of the window, click on iPhone in the center top of the window.

That should result in all of your Apps purchased under that Apple ID to display. If they have a little cloud next to them, it means that they are not currently on the Mac. Click on them to download them to the Mac, then hook up your phones, make sure they are all selected on the Device Profile screen for Apps for each device and re-sync.

Cheers,

GB

Apr 30, 2014 3:22 PM in response to gail from maine

Hello & help!

All my apps are also missing at iTunes on Mac laptop.

I tried logging in with my older/prior itunes info which I used back when I was buying lots of apps in the iphone app store itself, back between 2009 & approx. 2012, as I got sick of app hunting, lol. But itunes won't let me in with that older ID/PIN as it says it is wrong (& of course it is, as I have changed it several times since then).

So how are you & Steve able to log in to iTunes on Mac with an OLDER apple ID/PIN? I don't get it. 😟

Thank you!

Apr 30, 2014 9:53 PM in response to Steve Garman

Thanks Steve for that quick response! From other unrelated comments I've read, Apple never helps with password problems, always says, "We don't keep your passwords, so there's no way we can help you with passwords." But since this is actually more related to PURCHASED-apps not appearing in iTunes, then maybe they would have a more helpful attitude regarding that.

However, the joke is on me, as I think I was taking gail-from-maine's sentence too literally where she wrote, "

Sign into iTunes with the Apple ID that you purchased the apps with." She probably meant different family members might have different IDs/different phones, so make sure you're using the correct one for whichever phone. 😀

Because I went ahead & used my CURRENT ID/PIN, & followed her directions so far, & yes, whew!, there are 222 apps showing in iTunes. However, they ALL show the little cloud on them, which gail said means they are NOT on the Mac. But they ARE on the Mac, under User > Music > iTunes > Mobile Applications. So I'm cornfused. 😕

I also notice that some of the apps (in the long list under Mobile Applications/Mac) show a "Creation Date" of 12/31/69 (!!) so I don't know how/why it says that as my clock/time/date is correct/current. Might that be causing a problem? There appears to be no way to change that "Creation Date" in "Get Info."

Another question, what happened to the way you could move/re-arrange the location of the apps in iTunes according to screen/pages on the phone? (with OSX Lion & iTunes 11.1.5, it simply shows all the apps in iTunes in 27 rows of 8 apps each row, but I see no way -- YET -- to rearrange them by different phone-screens/locations, the way it used to show them in older iTunes & you could move them around to where you wanted them to show up on your phone).

FWIW, I did try doing as gail-from-maine said, "Click on them [in iTunes] to download them [the ones with the clouds on them] to the Mac," (in the lower right of the iTunes page, it has the option/button to "Download ALL"), but it didn't do anything, just a quick blink like flutter/action on iTunes page & no indication that anything was downloading.

I'd rather have the copies that are already on the Mac under Mobile Applications put on the phone, since they are the ones with CONTENT in them through the last backup, right? (I don't even know if the 222 apps showing in iTunes actually have any CONTENT in them???)

As you can tell, I'm not an experienced iTunes user, never cared for that software much. 😎

Apr 30, 2014 10:21 PM in response to macs4bg

PS: Per #1 above, maybe I was right the first time, per this other Apple article: "Make sure your computer is authorized using the Apple ID that you used for the original purchase."

The USER NAME is the same, I'm pretty sure but the PASSWORD/PIN has been changed. Does that matter?

Also, this MBP is authorized for iTunes, same prior USER NAME, but I gave it a new PIN.

And not sure if this matters, but all apps & iphone were originally bought/created/used via a prior White iBook w/Tiger. Recently moved/imported all stuff over to the newer MBP/Lion. Original iphone used via White iBook (a 3Gs) went on the blink, so got another one exactly like it (but updated to iOS 6.1.6) & it obviously only has the handful of natives apps. So trying to get the tons of other/prior apps onto this newer iPhone 3Gs w/iOS 6.1.6.

May 1, 2014 1:11 AM in response to macs4bg

If we must use whatever prior ID/Password we used for the original purchase of the iphone apps, then we've got a big problem BECAUSE...

1. Apple QUIT recognizing the older passwords because they now require you to have at least one CAPPED letter in it. So in recent weeks when trying to get this newer iphone 3Gs set up, tried to restore from my prior backup, etc. (which never would work, btw), iTunes would not accept my prior PIN (which I KNEW that I KNEW was correct & was the PIN I used for four years on the iPhone to buy new apps, etc.). So I was then forced to create a NEW iTunes password which had at least ONE capped letter in the PIN/Password.

2. Apple will also NOT let you use the SAME password you previously used for at least another year (previous password did not have a CAPPED letter in it anyway which they now require).

3. So the actual iTunes.app on Mac now has the newer-with-one-capped-letter PIN (plus the same USER NAME/EMAIL that I had always used).

4. I then checked the new iphone 3Gs Settings/iTunes, & it still shows: Same User-Name/Email as I had always used, plus the PRIOR PIN/Password (the original one, WITHOUT the newly-made one-capped-letter in it).

5. So how are we supposed to be able to use the original Apple ID Password with which we purchased all those Prior Apps if Apple will NOT accept the ORIGINAL Password because it doesn't have their new-fangled One-Capped-Letter in it?

6. Do I dare go ahead & change the Password on the iphone itself (Settings/iTunes/LogIn), from the ORIGINAL no-capped-letter PIN to the newer-required Password WITH at least one-capped-letter in it?

7. And if I do #6 above, will that mean I can never get those Prior 222 Apps showing up at iTunes.app/Mac on this newer iPhone because the Password is now forced to be different than it was originally?

I'm not touching another thing until I know for sure. The rabbit hole just keeps going deeper & deeper.

~~~

Also, while trying to access iTunes ACCOUNT (on the Mac), an error message keeps coming up re: Error (-1009). Googling that, all the answers say it means you're in a blocked country (Iran, Syria, etc.). Well that is funny, because I'm sitting in the USA, & yes, iTunes.app/Mac & iTunes/Settings/iPhone both show me as in the USA. So there's another fun aggravation! (Maybe their site is on the blink? It's been that way for at least two hours already.) 👿

May 1, 2014 1:44 AM in response to macs4bg

Here's the Apple link that says:

"Download past purchases

"Before you begin

"Sign in with the Apple ID that you used for the original purchase."

But Apple, you made me CHANGE the Apple ID Password that I used for the original purchases, so that it would have at least one-capped-letter in it.

That article next says:

"See which Apple ID you used to download an item."

I know which Apple ID I used to download all prior iPhone apps. It is Apple who changed the game plan mid-stream by refusing my "original Apple ID/Password" & forcing me to create another one with one-capped-letter in it.

So what is the solution?

May 1, 2014 1:58 AM in response to macs4bg

Re: #6 and #7 above, I held my breath & went ahead & changed the ORIGINAL Password ON the iphone itself in Settings/iTunes/Apps, to the newer iTunes Password with the one-capped-letter in it. Hit Save & watch it "spin" until it finishes the process. Go Back to Settings. Then go back to iPhone/iTunes Apple ID & Password to see if it now showed the newer (& longer) Password with one-capped-letter in it. But nope, it is showing the ORIGINAL Password still, the one without the one-capped-letter in it, so it must have reverted itself back to the Original Password.

Yet iTunes.app/Mac has the newer/longer required-one-capped-letter Password.

So what's an iPhone owner to do? How get them to "jive" with each other so I can get the prior apps on this phone? Clues anyone?

(I was so hoping to get all those prior apps on this phone so I can then open/check them all to see which ones are worth keeping & weed them out, delete the really useless ones, etc.) I give up for now. Will check back later. Thanks.

May 1, 2014 7:10 AM in response to macs4bg

I struggled with that too. No help from Apple. When you go to apps in itunes for your device. You see the panel of icons representing your iphone page? Just double-click on the page you want to do something with, it will move forward and stop. Then you can cherry pick an icon and move it to another page just by dragging and dropping or you can move the whole panel also by dragging a droping. It's easy once you know how to start (double-click). I don't think you'll see that instruction anywhere. Good luck!

Nov 7, 2015 11:26 AM in response to Steve Garman

From your computer screen: Once you have 'restored your new iPhone' based on your old one you will be led back to the page that gives you 2 options: 1) Setup new iPhone and 2) Restore iPhone. You've already done Option 2 (in my case 3 times followed by a call to Apple), now just choose Option 1 and it will sync and all the apps will transfer over!!! Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.

Where are my old apps? Not on new phone.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.