Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Have to restart iPhone5 to connect to home WiFi, iOS7

Here is the scenario: Connect to home WiFi in morning. Go to work. WiFi exists at work, but am disallowed per company policy to connect personal devices to the network. No problem, use cell network. Go home. After getting home, am unable to connect to my own home WiFi. Only "fix" I've found is to restart the phone. Sometimes it still doesn't work and requires turning off WiFi on phone a time or two. This is ever since having installed iOS7 on my iPhone5, before that this issue did not exist for me. My wife and son both have iPhone4S and do not experience this problem.

Further, just this morning I discovered another similar issue. When I got up I noticed my iPhone saying "SEARCHING..." in the upper LH corner where it is normally the signal strength of the Cell Network. However, WiFi was still working. I restarted the phone again and it properly connected to the Cell Network.

Quite frustrating as you can imagine.

iPhone 5, iOS 7

Posted on Sep 26, 2013 4:21 PM

4 replies

Sep 28, 2013 8:18 AM in response to ChiknNutz

Hey ChiknNutz,

Yes, that definitely does sound frustrating. The following article provides troubleshooting steps for the symptoms you described. While I have highlighted a specific section, it may be best to go through the entire article:

iOS: Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1398

Unable to automatically connect to Wi-Fi

- Avoid giving your Wi-Fi network a common name.

- Some wireless routers are preconfigured with a common SSID (network name) such as "wireless" or "default."

- If your desired Wi-Fi network has a common SSID, try changing the SSID to something unique. If needed, please consult with your network administrator (which may be your Internet Service Provider) for assistance with this step.

- If your desired Wi-Fi network has a unique SSID, reset network settings by tapping Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. Note: This will reset all network settings including:

- previously connected Wi-Fi networks and passwords

- recently used Bluetooth accessories

- VPN and APN settings

Thanks,

Matt M.

Oct 2, 2013 7:19 PM in response to matt00

Have tried all of these and more. The router is set up just as recommended by Apple. The problem actually seems to be worse in that I have to restart my Modem/Router each time I want to connect. No one but me seems to have this problem when connecting to my own network. I am starting to feel this is an iPhone5 and/or iOS7 problem. This is my second iPhone5. My initial one was replaced under warranty just a couple months ago. It was restarting over and over and finally just gave up the ghost. This particular problem has only existed for me since "upgrading" to iOS 7. And, YES, I have the latest version if iOS 7 as well.

Oct 31, 2013 8:19 AM in response to ChiknNutz

Im having what sounds like the same exact problem. On my iPad and iPhone I must constantly "reboot" in order to connect to the local wifi. This is happening on two devices and it happens on different wifi networks. I have tried all the suggestions reference turning off wifi, resetting wifi, rebooting and then reconnecting everything, but the original behavior has not changed.

Because the devices will drop the wifi connection and switch to LTE without any notification, I constantly find myself draining my LTE data while a perfectly good wifi connection is available but unused.

Im still looking for a solution. Has anyone found anything further about this problem?

Have to restart iPhone5 to connect to home WiFi, iOS7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.