Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

when itunes downloads ipsw where does it go

iPhone 4 (8GB), iOS 7

Posted on Sep 26, 2013 4:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2014 8:05 AM

FOR WINDOWS :

C:\Users\"your name"\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates

17 replies

Sep 28, 2013 9:03 AM in response to doyawannaluv

Hey doyawannaluv,

Thanks for the question. The following article provides the location of the .ipsw file:

iTunes: Specific update-and-restore error messages and advanced troubleshooting

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3694

Rename, move, or delete the iOS software file (.ipsw)

iTunes uses IPSW files to restore your device. If those files are unusable, try deleting them, renaming them, or moving the file to a different directory. This will cause iTunes to download a new copy of the IPSW. When a restore issue is specific to a user, it's likely due to an unusable .ipsw file. If removing the .ipsw file doesn't resolve a user-specific restore issue, then the issue is caused by other user-specific security software settings or iTunes preferences. Creating a new user will also cause new .ipsw restore files to be downloaded in the new user. You can find the .ipsw files in these locations.

Mac OS X

iPhone ~/Library/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates
iPad ~/Library/iTunes/iPad Software Updates
iPod touch ~/Library/iTunes/iPod Software Updates
Note: The tilde "~" represents your Home directory.

Windows XP

iPhone C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates
iPad C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPad Software Updates
iPod touch C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPod Software Updates
Note: To quickly access the Application Data folder, choose Start > Run. Type %appdata% and click OK.

Windows Vista, 7, and 8

iPhone C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates
iPad C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPad Software Updates
iPod touch C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPod Software Updates
Note: To quickly access the AppData folder, click Start, type %appdata% in the search bar, and press the Return key.
Windows 8: Move the cursor to the upper right, click the magnifying glass, type %appdata%, and press the Return key.

Thanks,

Matt M.

Dec 21, 2015 7:50 PM in response to doyawannaluv

I'm having this issue still with ios 9.1 , i downloaded it 3 times now, my internet is slower and takes awhile to download, so i dowload it without updating it right away, but i plug my phone in the next time and click update, and it downloads it again and again each time. what could be the problem here i go to the location to where it is supposed to be downloaded on windows 8 and its not there.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.