Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 7 deleted all my PDFs on iBooks

please help me. thanks

iPad 2, iOS 5.1.1, Macbook Air, OSX 10.8.1

Posted on Sep 26, 2013 4:51 PM

52 replies

Sep 28, 2013 4:03 PM in response to Verzig

I was having that identical problem and deleting my iBooks database worked. Your books may appear in a different order but they'll all reappear.

I use Linux to delete my database; go into the iBooks folder and find and delete a file that starts with iBooks and ends with .sqlite. You may want to back it up first.

iBooks automatically regenerates the database if it gets corrupted so this is a pretty safe thing to do.

Oct 1, 2013 7:47 AM in response to rajpriya

I've had numerous problems with iOS 7 including missing videos and in iBooks. After erasing my iPad and replacing everything I finally figured out that only the PDFs that I generated on my Mac (with the latest OS 10.8.4) via Preview or Adobe Acrobat Pro (v9.5.5) will NOT work. Books purchased via the Store will work. Downloaded PDFs will also work.

Oct 1, 2013 10:17 PM in response to Verzig

Sorry for the delay in replying. The iBooks database is a file named something similar to iBooks_v10252011_2152.sqlite which resides on your iPod. If you plug your iPod into a Linux computer it will let you browse the files, but I don't know what other ways there might be of finding it since normally Apple prefers to show you the actual book files. I believe iExplorer works perfectly for this, but I haven't tried it.

Deleting the database can change the order the books appear in but if you've got them sorted into categories those will still exist. I've often fixed a crashing iBooks by deleting the database.

Oct 9, 2013 7:06 AM in response to Trialnterror69

I spent about 30 minutes on the phone with Apple when it made my PDFs unreadable. There is no way to fix it short of an update to iOS 7. I gave up on having my PDFs in iBooks and just use Adobe’s PDF Reader for now. I will probably switch soon but for now it does the job. (I upload the PDFs into the app via iTunes, then sync) The people at GoodReader have been very helpful but have also been forthcoming in saying that their app still needs work in being fully iOS 7 compatible.

Oct 11, 2013 5:26 AM in response to TheRealDranorter

1. When you say deleting the database will fix the issue , could u elaborate what u mean by database? Is that a file location?

2. If you use Disk Aid to browse the iPad files, I found in the iBooks section under iBooks_v1025xxxx_xxxx that if u copy that file and add it to FileApp on the iPad and open the iBooks_...... File as a text file you will find that all your PDFs are listed there. BUT! They are only listing the location on the iPad for example,

File://localhost/var/mobile/media/books/purchases/blank%2013.pdf.NfileFile://loc alhost/var/mobile/media/books/purchases/centering4-jawchuck.pdf

So I don't know if I can access these files on the iPad short of jailbreaking? I'll try this weekend!

But my concern is that these locations are not valid in ios7 ? I won't know until I can access them?

What would be better I guess is if you could take your MacBook to an apple store and and have them restore your iPad back to ios6 and from there extract your PDFs then reupgrade to ios7

3. Apple by not letting use downgrade to an earlier iOS version I fell YOU NEED TO FIX THIS!

Oct 14, 2013 8:15 AM in response to TheRealDranorter

Hello TheRealDarnorter sorry I missed your post

I'm sure your method works but I use a Mac and Apples OS not Linux. I tried looking for the database in OS 10.8.5 and did not see anything with the suffix you described on the Mac and certainly cannot access the iOS of the iPad.

As I mentioned before, I fully Erased and replace all items on the iPad, and also did a full Restore and it did not work. iBooks refuses to see the PDFs. On the iPad, as Shapiro2000 mentioned, iBooks launches and displays the PDFs for a fraction of a second then quits to the home screen.

Updating to iOS 7 on the iPad has been a DISASTER and a black hole of time wasted. On the iPhone it has been an even bigger disaster. I know someone who updated. Lots of headaches in accessing his apps.

I spent a good 40 minutes with Apple and they cannot fix the issue short of their engineers writing an update to iOS 7. I finally just shifted my PDFs out of iBooks to Adobe Reader app which seems stable.

APPLE!!! PLEASE FIX THIS PROBLEM!!!

iOS 7 deleted all my PDFs on iBooks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.