Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 7 making touch screen unresponsive

Since updating to iOS 7 my iPhone 5 touch screen has become intermittently unresponsive. It was fine and normal in iOS 6 and was refurbished less than a month ago (my lock screen wasn't working and I got the phone replaced). How do i solve this problem? The phone will often times not respond to any sort of touch making swiping, typing, and holding something down impossible. It has been like this since updating to iOS 7 when it came out more than a week ago.

Posted on Sep 26, 2013 6:35 PM

31 replies

Sep 26, 2013 6:51 PM in response to goldenbear2013

Basic Troubleshooting Steps when all else fails

- Quit the App by opening multi-tasking bar, and swiping the App upward to make it disappear. (For iOS 6, holding down the icon for the App for about 3-5 seconds, and then tap the red circle with the white minus sign.)

- Relaunch the App and try again.
- Restart the device. http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1430

- Reset the device. (Same article as above.)

- Reset All Settings (Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings)

- Restore from backup. http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1766 (If you don't have a backup, make one now, then skip to the next step.)

- Restore as new device. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4137
For this step, do not re-download ANYTHING, and do not sign into your Apple ID.

- Test the issue after each step. If the last one does not resolve the issue, it is likely a hardware problem.

Sep 28, 2013 6:04 PM in response to TJBUSMC1973

Actually, I spoke too soon. And I tried resetting all data (ie restoring as a new device) and that didn't fix the problem either. I don't understand how it was working perfectly with iOS 6 and I didnt drop it, spill on it, or damage it in any way and all of a sudden it starts malfunctioning. This makes it really difficult to use the phone and is a real pain in the butt.

Sep 28, 2013 6:19 PM in response to goldenbear2013

Additionally, when I inputted my apple ID into the phone it asked me to sign into the apple store with 2 emails that I certainly don't own and have never seen before.. they were "christoph.porsch@generali.at" and "decavolo@hotmail.com". Those certainly aren't me or any of my friends and I have never registered anyhting under those emails or Apple IDs before. Something fishy is going on....

Oct 2, 2013 1:07 PM in response to goldenbear2013

Similar issue for me. It's asking me to log in with the Apple ID of my wife and also a friend of mine. Very odd. This seems to be related to my data being reinstated via iCloud after the Genius Bar reinstalled the OS.

Btw, that process seems to be flawed. It seemed to be busily reinstating my apps and such, marking several with a clock-like symbol overlay, but then all such apps "in process" just disappeared. A couple times, I got a message saying I should connect via WiFi to finish the restore, but I've been doing just that a lot since, and it doesn't seem to have restarted. So my restore is in limbo somehow. And the requests that I sign in with the Apple ID of these other people come back from time to time, although that seems random.

These bouts of it being unresponsive may correlate with this reinstall process. (Adding all this in case it's relevant to others, too.)

Nov 5, 2013 3:14 PM in response to goldenbear2013

I would like to second the fact that after having my phone replaced yesterday at the Apple store (lock button and battery issues) when the process of restoring my phone from iCloud started, I got prompted for the two apple IDs mentioned above:

1) christoph.posch@generali.at or christoph.porsch@generali.at (with or without an r in the surname, I can't quiet remember)

2) decavolo@hotmail.com

Now when I said to the Genius in the store that I have never seen those accounts, and would never let anyone else login to my phone to use them, he said I must have done. But this proves that it's clearly an issue with the restore process if someone totally random is receiving the same prompts for these random accounts.

Anyone able to shed any light on this issue? It's a bit disconcerting...

Nov 16, 2013 2:26 PM in response to goldenbear2013

Same problem, it's not hardware, I had the touch screen replaced and the whole phone replaced. Did a clean setup (which took forever because I had to re download the apps and reset up my folders). This is the worst, I'm going to get rid of this phone and switch back to Android if the next updated doesn't correct it. The apple of yesteryear would have never real eased such a buggy piece of software. Sad day.

Nov 16, 2013 2:29 PM in response to goldenbear2013

Tr1stan it's because the 'new' phones you get as replacements are not new they are refer noshed. The rest process does t completely wipe the phone, those are the email addresses of the other people who had that same device. They are right that you would also see that if you had shared content from others, but almost no one ever does that. 99% of the time it's because you were given a refurbished device.

Dec 22, 2013 7:51 AM in response to goldenbear2013

i am having such an issue with my lock screen, the touch not respond to me swiping it so i can't unlock my phone. My lock button is already broken. My assisive touch is the only thing on my screen that works besides the notification centre and the settings hub from the bottom of the screen. When i go to turn off my phone it doesnt respond to the swipe motion at the top of the screen, how can i fix this its ruining my life

iOS 7 making touch screen unresponsive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.