Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Startup manager problem

Hello all. I have a pretty bad problem with my 2009 Macbook pro that has me well and truly stumped:

Simply put - startup manager won't come up when I hold down the option key. I've tried resetting the NVRAM and SMU (thus confirming the option button works fine - if it wasn't working i shouldn't be able to reset my NVRAM)

To make things worse, the startup drive has something wrong with it and so i'm completely stuck! I can't even do OS re-install as I have no way to select the option to do so!

If anyone has any experience of this kind of issue, please help!

MacBook Pro, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Sep 26, 2013 7:35 PM

9 replies

Sep 28, 2013 4:03 PM in response to Josan12

Can no-one help with this?

Some more details if it helps:

- I get the startup chime, but no apple logo. It freezes on the grey screen

- I've tried everything in Apple's support article here: http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2570

- I've used my original disk to try to get to disc utility to reinstall/repair but I have no way to tell it to boot from the disc.

Essentially, none of the boot options work at all (safe mode, verbose mode etc). I can't use any boot options because the **** thing doesn't respond. It will, however, respond to resetting the SMU, NVRAM but this doesn't help. It's so frustrating as there's NOTHING i can do! Is it likeley a screwed mainboard? If so i'll just go ahead and replace it.

Can anyone help? Thanks.

Sep 28, 2013 8:09 PM in response to LowLuster

Thanks for replying Low and Ogel.

Yes, i've tried both option keys and still nothing. I know the keys are working as it responds to an NVRAM reset - i know it's doing it because of the chimes.

I've also just opened up the case and disconnected my hard drive from the mainboard and ..... it STILL does it!!

So, with NO hard-drive connected at all, by my understanding, it should display the '?' in a folder icon - correct? But no - nothing at all. Just that damned grey screen. This seems bad from my knowledge as i suspect that the EFI has somehow been fried or something? Unless you guys can suggest something else?

Oh - i've also tried creating an EFI restoration cd as per this guide:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2213

but i have the same problem as with my original discs - i have no way to tell it to boot from it/ use it.... 😟

Sep 29, 2013 8:27 PM in response to Josan12

I have a more specific question that might help with this:

Does anyone know if my problem above could be caused by my trackpad being faulty?

I ask because I read a thread on ifixit where a guy had exactly the same symptoms as me and it was caused by him forgetting to re-connect his trackpad after doing something to his mainboard. And further to this: the physical click on my trackpad stopped working recently and could have been a precursor to the whole trackpad failing...

What do you guys think???

Oct 1, 2013 8:46 PM in response to Josan12

Hmmm, well the problem seems to have resolved itself randomly. It's good news for now, but of course without identifying the cause means it can happen again anytime.

For anyone who has the same problem: I opened my computer and disconnected everything I could - battery, RAM, all hard-drives, CD-ROM. Re-connect it all and it might randomly work.

I am still showing unrepairable disk errors on my windows partition and possible corruption. Hmm. Format time methinks.

May 14, 2014 8:54 PM in response to Josan12

I had the same issue. I had booted into Mac OS and changed the startup disk to boot camp hoping it would boot into windows that way, but still the blank grey screen. No other shortcuts worked, reset NVRAM etc. I unplugged a fw drive that I'd formatted to fat32 in windows and it immediately continued to boot. That was the issue, so if anyone else sees this try unplugging all externals- namely volumes first.

Startup manager problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.