Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you clean the iphone 5s leather case?

I have the leather case that was released along with the iPhone 5s and I was wondering if anybody knew how to get rid of marks that are on it. It hasn't even been a week yet and there already scuff marks all along the edges and corners. Does anybody know how to safely buff them out?

I have tried using toothpaste like one website suggested but it was ineffective. I really like the feel and the fit of the case so I'd like to keep it for a long time if possible.

iPhone 5s

Posted on Sep 27, 2013 12:54 AM

18 replies

Sep 27, 2013 4:46 AM in response to Jeykneeko

My red case has gone black in the lower corners and all along the edges from what i assume is contact with my pockets...

It appears to be pretty much impossible to clean, i think leather just absorbs dirt horrendously.

Lightly scratching the marks with your fingernail seems to reduce their prominence a small amount.

Regret buying it now.

Sep 30, 2013 11:23 PM in response to Jeykneeko

Same problem here. I bought the brown case for my black iphone 5 a couple days ago, and it's already darkening on the edges and has another small dark mark on the back. I read a few things about this before purchasing but I just shrugged it off as people with dirty hands or lifestyles or something. But it is now clear that even normal contact with pockets and skin results in this darkening.

Wish I had known about this beforehand or I would have bought the black one...

Oct 1, 2013 2:11 AM in response to christopherxenyo

I took mine back to the store and the Apple staff looked horrified and offered to change it for a different colour or give me a refund. I took the refund and have bought a SPIGEN Neo Hybrid Case, which has got really good reviews (although it hasnt arrived yet).

They should let you do the same, I imagine a lot of people will not be happy with them which is a shame because they are a really nice case its just a shame about how quick they show the dirt.

Oct 4, 2013 1:10 PM in response to Mr Seven

Yes I took mine back yesterday and they accepted it no problem, even with the darkening on the edges. Glad that the Apple store is so generally cool and easygoing about things like this. I thought about exchanging for a black case, but I'm thinking now that I'm just going to go "bareback" and keep it in a designated pants pocket. I did that with my iphone 4 for 2 years and it worked out fine--the one time I dropped it and cracked the back glass, I just took it back to the Apple store and they replaced the back glass for 30 or 35 bucks in 5 minutes or so.

Oct 14, 2013 6:18 PM in response to Jeykneeko

To clean and preserve, you could use neutral color Saddle Soap - you can look it up on Amazon (made by Kiwi) - sells currently for $3.60 (plus shipping). However, one of the cool things about leather (especially the natural brown leather - which is the color of my 5s case) is that it takes on that "leathery" worn look over time due to oils in your hands/fingers reacting with the leather. For this same reason I have the iPad leather smart cover....can't stand the unnatural plastic look of other cases/covers!

Nov 17, 2013 5:38 PM in response to Jeykneeko

I will not recommend anyone buying Apple Leather case. i regret buying it. its also not a cheap case,$45.

i was expecting it to be of superior quality like iphones or other apple products.

i have this cover for last 15 days.now i can clearly see the black marks on corners. i tried to clean it but still the same.

I called my local apple store, on phone they say they have 14 days return policy but since it just the 15th day , they will take it back. but when i went to the store, they refuse to return.

The point is , I am not returning it beause I dont like, i like to return it beacuse its defective.

I think apple should take responsibility of this and apple being such a big and responsible company should recall this product.

Most of people have used leather prodicts like sofa (light color), they never change color in couple of weeks because we sit on them.

i hope someone in apple will take care of this.

Nov 19, 2013 7:44 AM in response to Hemhim

My wife's phone case has done the same thing. I am extremely disappointed in this product from Apple. It was so beautiful when new but looks like cr@p now. Given the proce I expected much better.

I have an old Sena leather case on an old PocketPC. It's 8 years old and looks better than this one.

Heading to the Apple store.

Dec 11, 2013 5:51 PM in response to Jeykneeko

Don't get it wet... what a ***** to get rid of the streaks! Other than that, I have the red leather case, and I like the "used" look it takes on after a while, I think most are exaggerating when they say there are black lines, in my opinion it looks siminal to "shading" in a drawing... looks cool to me, but I'm not a dirty person, so I don't worry too much about people thinking that by looking at an almost one thousand dollar investment...

Dec 30, 2013 2:19 PM in response to JohnnyAppleseeeed

Good tip. Generally, the case should be treated like nice leather shoes. I regularly polish mine with Allen Edmonds (AE) neutral shoe polish and brush with a horse hair shoe brush (since new out of the box). It doesn't affect the color. The polish protects the cover from skin oils and other liquids. To clean it, use a high grade leather conditioner/cleaner and a clean cloth. I use the AE brand that I use on my shoes for this too.

How do you clean the iphone 5s leather case?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.