Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to track down the source of Internet ‘crawl’ on a MacBook?

Is there a way to figure out whether Internet slowdowns are caused by ISP inefficiencies -or- by lack of free memory and/or high CPU usage?

I experience extended periods of slow-to-very slow Internet access on a daily basis and would like to find out what’s causing these.

Symptoms:

• Slow (as well as momentarily frozen) webpage loads

• Delayed appearance of typed text

• Non-response to mouseclicks or mouse/keyboard navigation commands

• Spinning beachballs

• Extended fan usage

All are very common. A day doesn't go by without some or all of them occurring.

Re: memory usage, with only the browser running, it rarely takes very long (usually under an hour from power on) for Activity Monitor to show little-to-no ‘free’ memory and high levels of ‘active’ (over 50%) and ‘inactive’ (around 25%) memory.

I do tend to have a lot of tabs open, but (as far as I'm aware) the better part of 2 GB is a lot of memory for a 'browser' to use up all by itself.

What's the solution?

Thanks.

---------------

I use the Google Chrome browser on a 1.83GHz MacBook (late 2006 model), 2 GB RAM (OS 10.6.8 / Snow Leopard). ISP: Verizon DSL (basic service level).

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 1.83 MHz

Posted on Sep 27, 2013 12:18 AM

26 replies

Sep 27, 2013 5:49 AM in response to dymar

>>it rarely takes very long (usually under an hour from power on) for Activity Monitor to show little-to-no ‘free’ memory

and does it also show high page outs ?

If so - there's the problem, just as you've said, not a download speed issue.

Have you tried other browsers ? (although quitting regularly is likely going to be necessary using any, with only 2GB available).

Sep 28, 2013 7:52 AM in response to andyBall_uk

andyBall_uk wrote:

>>it rarely takes very long (usually under an hour from power on) for Activity Monitor to show little-to-no ‘free’ memory

and does it also show high page outs ?

If so - there's the problem, just as you've said, not a download speed issue.

Have you tried other browsers ? (although quitting regularly is likely going to be necessary using any, with only 2GB available).

Is 6.02GB (PAGE OUTS) "high"? And assuming it is, how can I figure out what's causing them?

Is 2 GB RAM really not sufficient for handling just the browser (i.e., no other apps running)?

By "quitting" do you mean doing a 'reset,' exiting/restarting the browser, or something else?

I haven't tried other browsers recently, but recall having had similar problems with Safari and Firefox.

Snapshot from a few minutes ago, with the fan on (it's now shut off):

PAGE INS . . . 46.34 GB

PAGE OUTS . . . 6.02 GB

MEMORY:

FREE . . . 36.6 MB

WIRED . . . 296.1 MB

ACTIVE . . . 1.15 GB

INACTIVE . . . 535.5 MB

Sep 28, 2013 8:06 AM in response to dymar

>>Is 6.02GB (PAGE OUTS) "high"?

Yes - at times, the computer will at best be very slow & could seem completely unresponsive.

>>Is 2 GB RAM really not sufficient for handling just the browser (i.e., no other apps running)?

Depending on the sites visited & how often you quit/restart the browser - Yes.

>>By "quitting" do you mean doing a 'reset,' exiting/restarting the browser, or something else?

Exiting/restarting the browser

>>how can I figure out what's causing them?

Activity Monitor should show you which apps have used the most - but since you say 'no other apps running' - it's likely to be the browser, but certainly worth confirming.

Sep 28, 2013 8:14 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

Carolyn Samit wrote:

Verizon DSL (basic service level).

Run this speed test > Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test

If the download speed is less than 15Mbps, contact your ISP for upgrade options.

Try emptying the Chrome cache and data > Delete your cache and other browser data - Chrome Help

Having too many tabs open may account for the fan issue.

Thanks. So far I keep getting a "Configuration Load Failed" error message with Speedtest. I'll keep trying.

Re: emptying cache, etc., why would these affect the kind of speed issues I've reported? Isn't the cache intended to speed up data transfer?

I know this is a common troubleshooting recommendation, but when I've tried it in the past I don't recall ever having seen any discernable beneficial effect from doing it.

Sep 28, 2013 8:44 AM in response to dymar

'36.6MB FREE' is also an indication that you've run out of free RAM.

I notice 'Spinning Beachball' frequently occurs when free RAM is below 50MB on my mid-2007 2.16Ghz MacBook, so I keep the Activity Monitor dock icon with 'Show Memory Usage' active. Whenever the green (Free memory) sliver shrinks to less that '11 o'clock', it's likely time to quit applications and re-start them, or Restart the system.

Often, if you can quit additional applications and free additional memory, the red 'not responding' tag in Activity Monitor will go away and your app will return to normal function, until all the free RAM is once-again used up.

Another challenge is that early Intel MacBooks only have 64MB of video RAM, regardless of RAM installed.

Websites using extensive Flash are common, and are also 'notorious resource hogs' as John Galt stated above.

Facebook and Twitter alone can use up all available RAM within minutes if you leave those tabs open while browsing other tabs.

I use the Safari Extensions 'Adblock', 'Click to Flash' and 'Click to Plugin' to help manage Safari memory usage. I've also set 'Click to Flash' to prefer HTML5 video over Flash video, which seems to help.

I don't use Chrome regularly, but there may be similar extensions or plug-ins available.

And finally, our nearly-7-year-old computers are already 'vintage' in Apple-speak, with no OS upgrades beyond OS X 10.7 Lion, soon-to-be 2 major releases old when OS X 10.9 Mavericks is released, so regretably, we need be looking for newer/faster/more capable Macs. I keep trying to convince my son to buy a new 'Haswell'-generation MacBook Air for himself and pass his not-yet-vintage mid-2009 MacBook Pro to me... 😉

Sep 28, 2013 9:13 AM in response to andyBall_uk

andyBall_uk wrote:

>>Is 6.02GB (PAGE OUTS) "high"?

Yes - at times, the computer will at best be very slow & could seem completely unresponsive.

>>Is 2 GB RAM really not sufficient for handling just the browser (i.e., no other apps running)?

Depending on the sites visited & how often you quit/restart the browser - Yes.

>>By "quitting" do you mean doing a 'reset,' exiting/restarting the browser, or something else?

Exiting/restarting the browser

>>how can I figure out what's causing them?

Activity Monitor should show you which apps have used the most - but since you say 'no other apps running' - it's likely to be the browser, but certainly worth confirming.

Thanks.

So if it's just the browser (i.e., since this even happens when I'm running only the browser), what should I conclude -- just that I have too many windows/tabs open (for Chrome) with 2 GB RAM?

And that that's also what's causing the high PAGE OUTS?

In my experience, exiting/restarting the browser has no effect. I do it every day, since I exit the browser before putting the MacBook to sleep. The Activity Monitor pie chart doesn't budge.

Sep 28, 2013 9:25 AM in response to dymar

>>So if it's just the browser (i.e., since this even happens when I'm running only the browser), what should I conclude -- just that I have too many windows/tabs open (for Chrome) with 2 GB RAM?

That's quite often the case

>>And that that's also what's causing the high PAGE OUTS?

Perhaps

>>In my experience, exiting/restarting the browser has no effect. I do it every day, since I exit the browser before putting the MacBook to sleep. The Activity Monitor pie chart doesn't budge.

Screenshots showing all processes arranged by real memory, including the pie chart, before & after closing the browser, might show something else - I think that Chrome may have other processes running which don't necessarily quit when it does. I don't use it, preferring to avoid the auto-update application & other things it brings along (or used to).

Sep 28, 2013 10:06 AM in response to andyBall_uk

andyBall_uk wrote:

>>In my experience, exiting/restarting the browser has no effect. I do it every day, since I exit the browser before putting the MacBook to sleep. The Activity Monitor pie chart doesn't budge.

Screenshots showing all processes arranged by real memory, including the pie chart, before & after closing the browser, might show something else - I think that Chrome may have other processes running which don't necessarily quit when it does. I don't use it, preferring to avoid the auto-update application & other things it brings along (or used to).

Sorry, my mistake, I mixed up Chrome with Google Drive (the umbrella for Google’s suite of office webapps). It’s the latter that I exit (i.e., not Chrome) with no discernible freeing up of memory.

Re: the processes, is that Real Mem-ordered display (in Activity Monitor) a chronological one? I ask because I see a great many (looks like around thirty) successive entries all labeled "Google Chrome Renderer," so if these are all running simultaneously, aside from using up a lot of memory, I wonder what they’re doing.

Is there a particular Mac browser that’s considered to be the most RAM-efficient?

Sep 28, 2013 10:14 AM in response to John Galt

John Galt wrote:

Your system is using an excessive amount of virtual memory.

2 GB is not an abundant amount of memory, and Google Chrome is a notorious resource hog that runs poorly on Macs.

Thanks. I recall having had similar problems with Firefox -- it was actually the main reason I decided to try Chrome.

Which browser do you recommend? (Safari?)

Any knowledge of how well the Mac version of Tor works?

Sep 28, 2013 10:36 AM in response to dymar

dymar wrote:

Yes.

Don't know about Tor, but it seems clear to me that if you're interested in it, the very last browser you'd want to use is Chrome. Chrome is specifically designed to track your every movement, strictly for Google's benefit. Its intrusiveness upon your privacy cannot be reasonably circumvented.

Sep 29, 2013 10:10 AM in response to John Galt

John Galt wrote:

dymar wrote:

Yes.

Don't know about Tor, but it seems clear to me that if you're interested in it, the very last browser you'd want to use is Chrome. Chrome is specifically designed to track your every movement, strictly for Google's benefit. Its intrusiveness upon your privacy cannot be reasonably circumvented.

Thanks. I'm actually in the process of divesting myself of all things Google, both for the reasons you mentioned and because of what in my view is its clear disdain for its user base, as evidenced by its near-non-existent customer support.

Sep 29, 2013 10:21 AM in response to andyBall_uk

andyBall_uk wrote:

>> I mixed up Chrome with Google Drive...

no problem - try quitting Chrome & hopefully all those 'Google Chrome Renderer' processes will stop too - there's one for each tab at least, if I recall correctly.

Checking Chrome's 'Task Manager' I've become aware that some browser tabs take up as much as 150-200 MB of RAM, so with 2 GB of memory I guess that that, together with the resulting continuous CPU usage for virtual memory allocations, probably is the main factor in what's causing my slowdowns. I'll be giving Safari another try to compare. Thanks.

How to track down the source of Internet ‘crawl’ on a MacBook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.