Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

15" 2.3 Ghz Retina display or 15" 2.6 Ghz no Retina 2012 or 11 model?

I'm trying to decide if I should buy a 15" 2.3 Ghz with Retina display to a 15" 2.6 Ghz from the older model with no Retina display released in 2012, both refurbished. The main programs I would be using other than the basics are going to be Premier Pro, After Effects, and Photoshop. I know that for these types of programs getting the Mac Pro would be much better, but at this point I am still trying to learn more about video, photography, and graphics. I am just concerned about the processing power/speed either the 2.3 or 2.6 would give when rendering, exporting, or even simply working on a project. How much of a difference will it make? I would also plan to get an external hardrive to store all of those documents in so it doesn't slow down the computer. Thanks guys for your help.

MacBook Pro with Retina display

Posted on Sep 27, 2013 6:35 AM

7 replies

Sep 28, 2013 9:36 AM in response to rnz7

If I were you, I would purchase a non-Retina machine. You can upgrade, if you wish, the RAM, the HD to a faster, larger-capacity drive or even a SSD. All for less than what Apple charges for a Retina model.

The only caveat that I would make is to make sure that the non-retina refurb have a discrete graphics card with 1GB of VRAM. You'll also see a slight speed increase when rendering video, etc., with the faster processor.

My 2¢...

Clinton

Sep 29, 2013 11:12 AM in response to rnz7

macbook AIR and macbook pro RETINA contain SSD, very fast 'flash' based DRIVES

macbook Pro NON-retina contain conventional HD which contain platters and read heads, like old records and record needle heads.

You can add a SSD to a non-retina Pro, yes.

SSD advantage: very fast boot time from start up, no moving parts.

SSD disadvantage: typically 50% + less storage space than conventional HD....... SSD cost a lot more......when a SSD fails, data recovery is about 100% impossible (however if you have a backup of data, this isnt important)

on the left is a regular hard drive

on the right is inside a SSD, no moving parts, just flash chips.

User uploaded file

15" 2.3 Ghz Retina display or 15" 2.6 Ghz no Retina 2012 or 11 model?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.