"If You Find Out Can you please let me know?! I REALLY WANT MY IMESSAGE CHAT BACK B/C MY FRIEND PAST AWAY ;/ Only Memory i have left...
I finally did it. (Recovered my iChat history/iMessage history on my Mac from my old backup files)
What you need:
1. Your Time Machine back up of ~/Library/ or your old computer that you want to port the chat history from.
2. Your new Macbook Pro, cleanly installed.
What you do:
QUIT the MESSAGES APP
1. Go to ...path to your old home folder/Library (For me it is on a removeable disk so I had to do Finder-> Go -> Go to Folder-> type in "/Volumes/Old Macbook Pro/users/name/Library"
2. Open a separate Finder window, go to ~/Library (Hold down option and click on Go in Finder)
3. Locate the following folders in ~/Library (ON THE NEW MAC):
~/Library/Containers/com.apple.iChat -> ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.iChat_old
~/Library/Message -> ~/Library/Message_old
5. Find all the files in ~/Library/Preferences that contains the string "iChat" or "iMessage" and cut them into a separate folder. Be sure to remember where you copied them from!
6. Copy /Volumes/Old Macbook Pro/users/name/Library/Containers/com.apple.iChat to your ~/Library folder
7. Copy /Volumes/Old Macbook Pro/users/name/Library/Message to your ~/Library folder
8. This step is trickey: Copy all the files that contains "iChat" or "iMessage" from /...path to backup/Library/Preferences/ into the corresponding directory in ~/Library/Prefrences
9. DO NOT START THE MESSAGES APP and restart your computer
10. Open Messages, your old chats should all be there.
My computer: rMBP 15" Late 2013
My OS: Mac OSX Mavericks