Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I move library of managed and referenced images to new Mac?

I'm looking for advice on the migration of my Aperture 3 library to a new iMac.

The vast majority of my images are referenced - stored on a RAID 1, 3TB external drive, connected to my MacPro via FW800.

Sometimes I forget to turn on the external drive and sometimes it is slow to mount. Either way, I believe some images are "managed" as a result of firing up Aperture before the external drive is ready. How do I accomplish the move in this scenario?

Also, I have one lingering problem that I feel like I should correct before performing the move. For quite a while now (better part of a year) and have to force the regeneration of all previews. I connect my Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2 or my Canon 70D and the import pane shows all the images. Once the import begins, each preview disapears as the import progresses. All previews are black by the time the import ends. I always have to force the "Generate Previews" on all the images. This is despite the preferences being set to automatically create previews.

I will be removing images before I make the move, so fixing issues like the one above might as well be done as I'm cleaning house beforehand.

Thanks

Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 Ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 9GB RAM, 120GB SSD boot drive, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Sep 27, 2013 7:18 AM

1 reply

Sep 27, 2013 7:50 AM in response to David Tozer

I'm looking for advice on the migration of my Aperture 3 library to a new iMac.

To move an Aperture library to a new mac do this:

Then connect your drive with the referenced images to your new mac, double click the Aperture library in its new location and once again run "Repair Permissions".

Check, if Aperture on the new mac can see the referenced images on your external drive.

If yes, you are done. If not, see: Aperture 3 User Manual: Working with Referenced Images; the paragraph on Reconnecting Missing or Offline Referenced Images

. For quite a while now (better part of a year) and have to force the regeneration of all previews. I connect my Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2 or my Canon 70D and the import pane shows all the images. Once the import begins, each preview disapears as the import progresses. All previews are black by the time the import ends. I always have to force the "Generate Previews" on all the images.

I suspect, this could be caused by the problem mentioned above "Sometimes I forget to turn on the external drive and sometimes it is slow to mount"; if the drive is seen as offline by Aperture, it will fail to generate the previews. Have you run a disk check on that drive?

Regards

Léonie

How do I move library of managed and referenced images to new Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.