Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

'Messages' shows chat bubbles in a rectangular box of the same color

Since I have replaced my iMac's HDD and used a Time Machine backup to restore my data, the chat bubbles in the Messages app are surrounded by a rectangular box of the same color as the chat bubbles. They have the same size because of which I assume it's an issue with the transparency beyond the chat bubble.

Also, when clicking on a chat bubble, the rectangular box as well as the chat bubble get selected. Changing colors of the chat bubbles just changes the color of the rectangular box. Restarting Messages, restarting the iMac and even resetting the PRAM haven't led to any change. How can this issue be solved? It's kind of driving me crazy.

P.S.: Before the backup everything was normal.

User uploaded file

iMac (20-inch Mid 2007), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 2GHz, 4GB RAM

Posted on Sep 27, 2013 9:53 AM

7 replies

Sep 27, 2013 12:32 PM in response to AppGen

HI,

In the Messages > View Menu what is the selection for the Style (Show As ...) of the messages ?

It can be Balloons, which is the Default, Boxes or Compact.

Boxes reduces the size of the icon/Buddy pic for you and your Buddy

It moves you to the left hand side as well. The text is enclosed in a window wide band.

User uploaded file

Compact is smaller still.

Sometimes the selection process gets messed up.

Open a Messages window with a Chat on view

Go to the View Menu > Messages > Show As... and change the Style to the other choices in turn.

User uploaded file
8:32 pm Friday; September 27, 2013

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.4)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Sep 27, 2013 12:57 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

I have chosen 'Show as Balloons', and it is the only view in which the issue appears. Balloons was my preferred view, and as I said, changing the view hasn't led to any change. I had set it to 'Show as Boxes', quit the Messages app, restarted Mac and launched Messages again. After changing the view to 'Show as Balloons' the rectangular box is there, again. I also tried fixing the problem by deleting some .plist files associated to the Messages app but the problem is still there. It's really bugging me.

Sep 27, 2013 1:58 PM in response to AppGen

Hi,

Try downloading and Installing, over what you have, the Combo version of the last OS X update you did.

In iChat a similar issue with Balloons used to happen.

The only "cure" was to reinstall the app.

However this cannot be done as an App only in Mountain Lion.

I am suggesting the COMBO update instead of an OS reinstall. (You may still have to do that)

User uploaded file
9:58 pm Friday; September 27, 2013

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Sep 28, 2013 11:53 AM in response to AppGen

Hi,

The Speech Bubbles of any sort in iChat and Messages are made with using some HTML coding.

Basically the Bar you see should be behind the shape part of the Balloon.

this is made up of three pieces. A left or right hand end with the kick out. A plain opposite the kick out and a middle section.

The shape should not be see-through.

The Style of your Chat is handled by the three Plug-ins for Balloons, Compact and Boxes.

In iChat when there was an Issue reinstalling the app was the only way to cure it.

As I said before an OS reinstall is about the only means left.

I note that you say you will manage with Boxes view at the moment.

User uploaded file
7:53 pm Saturday; September 28, 2013

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

'Messages' shows chat bubbles in a rectangular box of the same color

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.