Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Worried my mac may be hacked. Help!

Hi

I've come home from work to find that my login screen on my mac has created a guest user for itself even though I've disabled it. When I go to change any settings I also get weird symbols coming up instead of english text (The accept button is also in symbols)

Have I been hacked? I have enabled Find my Mac lately so I'm thinking that might be it.

Can I do a full system restore then load on a time machine back up?

Help!

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2013)

Posted on Sep 27, 2013 12:10 PM

10 replies

Sep 27, 2013 12:14 PM in response to jonthndaniel724

If you enabled find my mac, you also (whether you realized it or not) re-enabled the guest account. You cannot have find my mac without the guest account being active.

The reason is that if lost, whomever has it needs to be able to take the device online so that find my mac can "phone home" so to speak - communicate with Apple's iCloud servers to pass on its location information.

The guest account allows access to the internet, and nothing but access to the internet, so your machine can go online and report where it is.

Sep 27, 2013 12:54 PM in response to jonthndaniel724

Yes, it is basically safe. But don't forget what it is - it is a simple convenience tool to, maybe, help you find a lost or stolen device. It is really not a security feature in any strict sense, as once someone has their hands on your machine, all bets are off about security.

Your best security is physical security - don't leave it when using in public places, keep it with you closely at airports, that sort of thing. Don't count on any remote tracking system as simple as find my mac - if it ever is needed and works, great, but odds are it will not be of much help if your device goes missing.

Worried my mac may be hacked. Help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.