Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I delete tmp-archive files that are really large?

I have two extremely large files. I'm trying to take back some memory (only operating with 2 GB free space, and that's not good).

Ran Disk Inventory X to see my largest files, and found these two gems with 32.25 and 44.62 GB.

User uploaded file

Now, I've been to one link I found discussing possible solutions:

http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-1474738.html

However, I'm not super tech savvy. Basically, to try and see if another program would clean these up, I downloaded both TinkerTool System and Main Menu. Ran each of them, but neither cleaned up those files.

Are they essential files? Does anyone know if I can delete them?

Thanks

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Sep 27, 2013 1:15 PM

6 replies

Sep 28, 2013 3:28 AM in response to gozerush

In that location, there is usually just -caches and -tmp directories with no other folders.

Their presence would result from an old installation that has not cleaned up after itself.

Those two files have been there a long time; since 2011.

Given that you are short of disk space, deleting them would be a good idea, by dragging them to the trash, but you will need to be in an Admin account and you will have to supply your password to complete the operation, given that they have been installed by the system.

Can I delete tmp-archive files that are really large?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.