Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you tell me if the smtp settings have changed recently? I use me/ICloud mail with Outlook and can not receive emails but outgoing emails are no longer working. Error message is: Authentication failed because Outlook doesn't support any of the availa

I am able to receive messages on my IMac using Outlook but am unable to send. I've had no trouble in the past but began receiving the following messages today.

5.7.8 Bad username or password (Authentication failed).

Authentication failed because Outlook doesn't support any of the available authentication methods.

I am able to send messages using this account on my IPhone and IPad so the IMac is the only place I am having issues. Any advice?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Sep 27, 2013 1:11 PM

18 replies

Feb 25, 2018 10:30 PM in response to Erick Brian

What settings are you using in AIRMAIL? I cannot get it to work for the life of me. Their support team is just repeating all the FAQs to me. Idiots.

+1

Frustrating to say the least!!! Need help!

Sep 27, 2013 1:13 PM in response to Dbl L

Here are the correct settings. They have never changed since iCloud debuted a year ago.

Server information

IMAP (Incoming Mail Server) information:

• Server name: imap.mail.me.com
  • SSL Required: Yes
  • Port: 993
  • Username: example@me.com (use your @me.com address from your iCloud account)
  • Password: Your iCloud password

SMTP (outgoing mail server) information:

• Server name: smtp.mail.me.com
  • SSL Required: Yes
  • Port: 587
  • SMTP Authentication Required: Yes
  • Username: example@me.com (use your @me.com address from your iCloud account)
  • Password: Your iCloud password

Note: If you receive errors using SSL, try using TLS instead. SSL is required for both IMAP and SMTP connection with iCloud. POP is not supported by iCloud.

Sep 29, 2013 4:59 PM in response to Csound1

Csound1,

Removing the @me.com from username in the smtp settings outgoing server worked. It appears something has changed on the icloud account since last year. I had the same problem Dbl L experienced on the same day. Now we know how to fix it, but something changed.

I suspect it has something to do with the different domains all associated with iCloud accout. My original username/email account was: <username>@mac.com, then <username>@me.com, then <username>@icloud.com. Now I use the original <username>@mac.com across all the products: AppleTV, email, AppleStore, 5 family accounts for iPhone, etc. etc.

What is the recommended combination to use? Username with Mac.com? me.com? icloud.com? or will they all continue to work?

Thanks,

Scott.

Oct 8, 2013 8:17 PM in response to bg_maule

bg_maule,

Obviously things changed on the icloud mail settings. The comment that nothing changed is unfortunately an aloof comment that reflects how things have changed at Apple. I've been a long time Apple Fan, employee, proponent, etc. But there is obviously a sea change and I fear the creative and customer focused attitude has changed.

The response from an Apple employee is obvious of the new direction. I'm not a Microsoft Fan, but am forced to use Outlook for Mac. Don't say Microsoft changed something or isn't compatible. It supports Apple products on Microsoft networks.

Where's the direction?

Oct 12, 2013 8:27 AM in response to Dbl L

I have been [am] experiencing similar problems. Doing searches i have come across varous similar proposals to correct sending and/or receiving problems in third party clients e.g add pnn- to the smtp or imap server name where nn varies

Sometimes it seem to work but I do not believe it is the definitive solution. Why, I ask, does MAIL.app always seem to work whereas Thuderbird, Postbox or Outlook suddently stop sending or receiving ater months or even years of working OK?

Does anyone think they have the efinitive answer?

Can you tell me if the smtp settings have changed recently? I use me/ICloud mail with Outlook and can not receive emails but outgoing emails are no longer working. Error message is: Authentication failed because Outlook doesn't support any of the availa

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.