Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

In listening to iTunes radio, it often times plays the wrong genre of music

iTunes radio plays the wron genre. I selected a station for it's "listed" content, but iTunes radio "thinks" I want to listen to different type of music. Ambient, rest, sleep and therapy is NOT ROCK or HipHop or Alternative!

What good does it do to select a particular genre if the music is way off.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Sep 27, 2013 1:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2014 1:02 PM

I have the exact same situation and if you will search the web for "apple iTunes radio plays wrong genre" you will see how BIG of an issue this is. Right now I am using the free version of iTunes radio, was considering paying for it because the Pandora I loved now will only charge monthly and I hate people tapping into my account monthly. This is a HUGE opportunity for you if you take advantage of it. however, every time I play meditation, spa, nature sounds etc, I get PINK or Lady GAGA. these songs are part of my regular library, but I don't want to hear them when I am playing nature sounds or spa, or meditation radio. clicking "never play this song" does NOT help. I will be going back to Pandora and pay the monthly fee, so you have lost me as a potential customer, but if you really want to maximize pandoras going to monthly only, you will fix this genre radio issue.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 21, 2014 1:02 PM in response to Alex Spassoff

I have the exact same situation and if you will search the web for "apple iTunes radio plays wrong genre" you will see how BIG of an issue this is. Right now I am using the free version of iTunes radio, was considering paying for it because the Pandora I loved now will only charge monthly and I hate people tapping into my account monthly. This is a HUGE opportunity for you if you take advantage of it. however, every time I play meditation, spa, nature sounds etc, I get PINK or Lady GAGA. these songs are part of my regular library, but I don't want to hear them when I am playing nature sounds or spa, or meditation radio. clicking "never play this song" does NOT help. I will be going back to Pandora and pay the monthly fee, so you have lost me as a potential customer, but if you really want to maximize pandoras going to monthly only, you will fix this genre radio issue.

Jul 21, 2014 6:15 PM in response to Alex Spassoff

I have the same issue and it drives me bonkers.

In my case is the spanish music genre. I selected two pre-created "Merengue" station that itunes had available when I was setting up my iTunes Radio. I pay for iTunes Match, so I don't get commercials. yeah right!.

Not only do I get Spanish commercials, but over 50% of the songs are "Salsa" and not "Merengue". HUGE difference of genre and down right quite insulting. I understand if this was a wider genre like "Latin Hits", but the tittle of the stations as pre-selected by Apple are "Merengue latino 100% Radio" and "Dominicano Soy (translates to Dominican I am) - Top 40 Radio".

If I wanted to listen to "Salsa" music, I would create a station just for that, but I selected two "Merengue" stations because that's what I like. Both stations suck, and to throw salt to the injury, clicking on "Never Play this Song" doesn't have any effect on my selection. I always hear the same songs that are already in my list of never to play those songs again....

With the huge amount of "Merengue" music I purchase through iTunes, you would think the selection on their radio stations would be way better, but I'm baffled at how this is handled.

I would gladly go work for apple and separate the two genres where they belong. It's not hard, just listen to the drum beat, two totally different styles of music.

So I went back to pandora.

I'm happy.

The end.

In listening to iTunes radio, it often times plays the wrong genre of music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.