Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cell Data Significantly Slower on iOS 7

I have an iPhone 4S that has served me well, and has been a trusty device of mine until recently. Before I installed iOS 7, my phone would be able to achieve cellular network speeds up to almost 8 Mbps and my battery could make it through the day. Since the install, it's like I've downgraded my phone. I've only been able to achieve network speeds up to 0.25 Mbps and now have to charge my phone about three times a day. Seeing as my cellular Internet speeds have decreased by about 32 times over. I thought that this might be a reception problem, but no matter the strength of the connection the results are still the same. My WiFi speeds are unaffected, just my cellular network data.

I went to my local Apple store today, where they attempted a firmware restore. This did not fix the problem, and the only other options they suggested were to replace the battery or buy a new phone. I find this to be absolutey disatifactory, to the point where I'm beginning to lose my faith in Apple's ability to resolve this. My phone worked flawlessly before, but now it's turning into a technilogical brick.

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.0.2

Posted on Sep 27, 2013 1:59 PM

11 replies

Sep 27, 2013 2:03 PM in response to someguy5956

Sorry about your issues...I have no degradation in cellular data speeds. I just did a speed test (Speedtest app) and achieved 54.2 Mbs downlodad and 9.41 Mbps upload on a Verizon LTE network.

Can you travel to a different part of town and test your network speeds again? I would also do a proper reset on the phone to ensure there is no tiny hiccup that this could resolve.

Hold the home button + the lock button for about 10-12 seconds until the Apple logo appears. You will not lose any data or current settings.

Sep 27, 2013 2:08 PM in response to KalebsDad78

I have tried all of these steps already. My location is irrelivant to the speed, and I have done the following steps:

1) Did two back to back hard-resets (No Change)

2) Restored from backup (No Change)

3) Reset network settings (No Change)

4) Reset all settings (No Change)

5) Reset all setting, clear all content, and set up as new iPhone (No Change)

6) Did firmware restore at Apple store (No Change)

Sep 27, 2013 2:16 PM in response to someguy5956

Sounds like an internal antenna issue with the phone that the new OS just brought to life. I can't think of anything software-related that would effect it when it's not a wide-spread issue. I've been in the forums routinely since iOS7 was released and I have not seen anyone post about this kind of issue.

Sorry I don't have any other recommendations for you but I hope you get the issue resolved soon.

Nov 11, 2013 7:18 AM in response to someguy5956

I have the same problem. iPhone 4S. 64gig. AT&T. Most recent version. (7.0.3) After updating to ios7, my data speeds dropped significantly. Pre update, I was getting 6-8mbps up. Now I'm only getting 0.1 to 0.2 up and 0.15-0.25mbps down. I contacted AT&T who assured me that I was not throttled. They updated my SIM card in store as well as reset all network settings. I've done many hard and soft resets. Backed up and restored. Everything except completely wipe the phone and start over. The only time my phone has data functionality is when I'm connected to a wi-fi network.

My battery also does not last as long. Any use causes it to drop relatively quickly. I charge several times throughout the day as well.

Have you had any luck in finding a work-around, or getting help from Apple? I would really like to have a working phone again! Glad to hear that I'm not the only one having this issue.

Cell Data Significantly Slower on iOS 7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.